Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Black Doctor Black Doctor is offline

Default How do I format mail merge fields?

I am using Excel & Word 2003. I have tried to format the merge fields in my
document without success. For example, I want the date to read 1 December
2007. After I press Alt+F9, my 'date' field is as follows : { MERGEFIELD
"Date1" } so I changed it to read { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d mmmm yyy"} - but
when I hit Alt+F9 again it doesn't change the format. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Black Doctor,

The lower-case 'm's in your formatting switch are for minutes - months require 'M's. Try:
{ MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}
After pressing Alt-F9 to toggle the code display off, press F9 to update the displayed results.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Black Doctor" Black wrote in message ...
| I am using Excel & Word 2003. I have tried to format the merge fields in my
| document without success. For example, I want the date to read 1 December
| 2007. After I press Alt+F9, my 'date' field is as follows : { MERGEFIELD
| "Date1" } so I changed it to read { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d mmmm yyy"} - but
| when I hit Alt+F9 again it doesn't change the format. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Black Doctor[_2_] Black Doctor[_2_] is offline

It still doesn't work. Now I get an error in the field saying : 'Error!
Unknown charater in picture string'.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Black Doctor,

The lower-case 'm's in your formatting switch are for minutes - months require 'M's. Try:
{ MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}
After pressing Alt-F9 to toggle the code display off, press F9 to update the displayed results.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Black Doctor" Black wrote in message ...
| I am using Excel & Word 2003. I have tried to format the merge fields in my
| document without success. For example, I want the date to read 1 December
| 2007. After I press Alt+F9, my 'date' field is as follows : { MERGEFIELD
| "Date1" } so I changed it to read { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d mmmm yyy"} - but
| when I hit Alt+F9 again it doesn't change the format. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As the formatting switch is correct, the must be something wrong with the
data. What is displayed if you remove the formatting switch.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Black Doctor,

The lower-case 'm's in your formatting switch are for minutes - months
require 'M's. Try:
{ MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}
After pressing Alt-F9 to toggle the code display off, press F9 to update
the displayed results.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Black Doctor" Black wrote in message
| I am using Excel & Word 2003. I have tried to format the merge fields
in my
| document without success. For example, I want the date to read 1
December
| 2007. After I press Alt+F9, my 'date' field is as follows : {
MERGEFIELD
| "Date1" } so I changed it to read { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d mmmm
yyy"} - but
| when I hit Alt+F9 again it doesn't change the format. What am I doing
wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Black Doctor[_2_] Black Doctor[_2_] is offline

Exactly what I have written : 'Error! Unknown character in picture string.'

This is the code : { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyy"}

I still can't see where its going wrong.

Cheers

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Black Doctor,

The lower-case 'm's in your formatting switch are for minutes - months
require 'M's. Try:
{ MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}
After pressing Alt-F9 to toggle the code display off, press F9 to update
the displayed results.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Black Doctor" Black wrote in message
| I am using Excel & Word 2003. I have tried to format the merge fields
in my
| document without success. For example, I want the date to read 1
December
| 2007. After I press Alt+F9, my 'date' field is as follows : {
MERGEFIELD
| "Date1" } so I changed it to read { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d mmmm
yyy"} - but
| when I hit Alt+F9 again it doesn't change the format. What am I doing
wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Black Doctor,

Check the number of 'y's.in your formatting switch. It's not the same as I posted.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Black Doctor" wrote in message ...
| Exactly what I have written : 'Error! Unknown character in picture string.'
|
| This is the code : { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyy"}
|
| I still can't see where its going wrong.
|
| Cheers
|
| "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
|
| As the formatting switch is correct, the must be something wrong with the
| data. What is displayed if you remove the formatting switch.
|
| --
| Hope this helps.
|
| Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
| services on a paid consulting basis.
|
| Doug Robbins - Word MVP
|
| "Black Doctor" wrote in message
| It still doesn't work. Now I get an error in the field saying : 'Error!
| Unknown charater in picture string'.
|
| "macropod" wrote:
|
| Hi Black Doctor,
|
| The lower-case 'm's in your formatting switch are for minutes - months
| require 'M's. Try:
| { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}
| After pressing Alt-F9 to toggle the code display off, press F9 to update
| the displayed results.
|
| Cheers
|
| --
| macropod
| [MVP - Microsoft Word]
|

| "Black Doctor" Black wrote in message
| | I am using Excel & Word 2003. I have tried to format the merge fields
| in my
| | document without success. For example, I want the date to read 1
| December
| | 2007. After I press Alt+F9, my 'date' field is as follows : {
| MERGEFIELD
| | "Date1" } so I changed it to read { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d mmmm
| yyy"} - but
| | when I hit Alt+F9 again it doesn't change the format. What am I doing
| wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Black Doctor[_2_] Black Doctor[_2_] is offline

Thankyou very much - it works now, but I did try to do this yesterday. Do you
have to save the file or go back through the steps before it updates? Also,
does using spaces between the formatting switch and the mergefield code cause
issues?

Thanks again.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Black Doctor,

Check the number of 'y's.in your formatting switch. It's not the same as I posted.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Black Doctor" wrote in message ...
| Exactly what I have written : 'Error! Unknown character in picture string.'
|
| This is the code : { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyy"}
|
| I still can't see where its going wrong.
|
| Cheers
|
| "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
|
| As the formatting switch is correct, the must be something wrong with the
| data. What is displayed if you remove the formatting switch.
|
| --
| Hope this helps.
|
| Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
| services on a paid consulting basis.
|
| Doug Robbins - Word MVP
|
| "Black Doctor" wrote in message
| It still doesn't work. Now I get an error in the field saying : 'Error!
| Unknown charater in picture string'.
|
| "macropod" wrote:
|
| Hi Black Doctor,
|
| The lower-case 'm's in your formatting switch are for minutes - months
| require 'M's. Try:
| { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}
| After pressing Alt-F9 to toggle the code display off, press F9 to update
| the displayed results.
|
| Cheers
|
| --
| macropod
| [MVP - Microsoft Word]
|

| "Black Doctor" Black wrote in message
| | I am using Excel & Word 2003. I have tried to format the merge fields
| in my
| | document without success. For example, I want the date to read 1
| December
| | 2007. After I press Alt+F9, my 'date' field is as follows : {
| MERGEFIELD
| | "Date1" } so I changed it to read { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d mmmm
| yyy"} - but
| | when I hit Alt+F9 again it doesn't change the format. What am I doing
| wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Black Doctor,

After updating the code, pressing F9 updates the displayed results in your mailmerge master. You'd have to re-run nthe merge to
update the output documents.

I'm not aware of any particular issues with having more than one space between the mergefield code and the switch. Not that I've
tried a whole lot of spaces ... seems to cope with at least 50!

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Black Doctor" wrote in message ...
| Thankyou very much - it works now, but I did try to do this yesterday. Do you
| have to save the file or go back through the steps before it updates? Also,
| does using spaces between the formatting switch and the mergefield code cause
| issues?
|
| Thanks again.
|
| "macropod" wrote:
|
| Hi Black Doctor,
|
| Check the number of 'y's.in your formatting switch. It's not the same as I posted.
|
| Cheers
|
| --
| macropod
| [MVP - Microsoft Word]
|

| "Black Doctor" wrote in message
| | Exactly what I have written : 'Error! Unknown character in picture string.'
| |
| | This is the code : { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyy"}
| |
| | I still can't see where its going wrong.
| |
| | Cheers
| |
| | "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
| |
| | As the formatting switch is correct, the must be something wrong with the
| | data. What is displayed if you remove the formatting switch.
| |
| | --
| | Hope this helps.
| |
| | Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
| | services on a paid consulting basis.
| |
| | Doug Robbins - Word MVP
| |
| | "Black Doctor" wrote in message
| | It still doesn't work. Now I get an error in the field saying : 'Error!
| | Unknown charater in picture string'.
| |
| | "macropod" wrote:
| |
| | Hi Black Doctor,
| |
| | The lower-case 'm's in your formatting switch are for minutes - months
| | require 'M's. Try:
| | { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}
| | After pressing Alt-F9 to toggle the code display off, press F9 to update
| | the displayed results.
| |
| | Cheers
| |
| | --
| | macropod
| | [MVP - Microsoft Word]
| |
| |
| | "Black Doctor" Black wrote in message
| | | I am using Excel & Word 2003. I have tried to format the merge fields
| | in my
| | | document without success. For example, I want the date to read 1
| | December
| | | 2007. After I press Alt+F9, my 'date' field is as follows : {
| | MERGEFIELD
| | | "Date1" } so I changed it to read { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d mmmm
| | yyy"} - but
| | | when I hit Alt+F9 again it doesn't change the format. What am I doing
| | wrong?
| |
| |
| |