Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
turtle-1975 turtle-1975 is offline

Default Can I start Word with Mail Merge wizard open?

Nearly every document I use at work is a mailmerge. Is there a way to start
Word with the mail merge wizard open? I tried recording a macro so I can just
hit the macro button every time I start up word (Macro doesn't seem to record
the menu selections though). That is, I don't want to click on tools, then
letters and mailings, then mail merge every time I open a mail merge document.

Thanks.
Heather
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From the View menu, select Toolbars and then check the Mail Merge item.
That will cause the Mail Merge toolbar to be displayed and it contains
buttons for all of the operations required for mailmerge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"turtle-1975" wrote in message
Nearly every document I use at work is a mailmerge. Is there a way to
start
Word with the mail merge wizard open? I tried recording a macro so I can
just
hit the macro button every time I start up word (Macro doesn't seem to
record
the menu selections though). That is, I don't want to click on tools, then
letters and mailings, then mail merge every time I open a mail merge
document.

Thanks.
Heather

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
turtle-1975 turtle-1975 is offline

Thanks, I have the toolbar up already, what I want is the wizard which comes
up down the right hand side to come up automatically...

Heather

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From the View menu, select Toolbars and then check the Mail Merge item.
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You can do it by creating an AutoOpen macro in your Normal.dot, e.g.

Sub Autoopen()

Application.TaskPanes(wdTaskPaneMailMerge).Visible = True

End Sub

(See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/DocumentEvents.htm for furthe info.
about "Auto" macros and and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm if you're unfamiliar
with VBA macros)

Personally, I prefer the toolbar which does /most/ of what mailmergers need
and occupies a lot less space, so I'm interested to know whether you simply
prefer the wizard or have to use it, e.g. because
a. you want to connect to an Outlook contacts folder within Word
b. you use merges that use Word's MailMerge events (one of which only works
properly if you start the merge from the wizard)
c. someone has customised your wizard
d. some other reason

Peter Jamieson
"turtle-1975" wrote in message
Thanks, I have the toolbar up already, what I want is the wizard which
comes
up down the right hand side to come up automatically...

Heather

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From the View menu, select Toolbars and then check the Mail Merge item.
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
turtle-1975 turtle-1975 is offline

Hi,

Thanks! That works wonderfully. In answer to your question, I just find it
easier to use the wizard... and I never noticed that there is an 'edit
recipient list' type option on the toolbar (don't know how I missed it!).
Perhaps I'll be adventurous and start using the toolbar instead since I have
it there all the time anyway.

Heather

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From the View menu, select Toolbars and then check the Mail Merge item.
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In that case you should find
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm useful.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From the View menu, select Toolbars and then check the Mail Merge
item. That will cause the Mail Merge toolbar to be displayed and
it contains buttons for all of the operations required for
mailmerge.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"turtle-1975" wrote in
message ...