Smokey smith

Default Multiple ouputs from merge

My business deals with 4 different types of clients and I want to send a
different mailmerge letter to each client.

I have written a letter with some common text and the parts of the letter
that are different for each client type I have in separate bookmarks in
another document.

Each different type of client is identified by a field called orgtype.

The logic of the program is quite simple - a nested if statement.

My difficulty is as part of the true condition I insert {INCLUDETEXT "C:\\My
Documents\\[Business Name]\\Marketing\\clientdata.doc" [Bookmark]} and end up
with an invalid file name error.

HELP
Graham Mayor

It is difficult to troubleshoot a conditional field if you don't post the
whole code - and what are the bits in square brackets? Are they supposed to
be fields or are they simply to disguise a client? And what's the nesting
for?

The simplest plan would be to set either the bookmark names to match the
orgtype field content or to use orgtype to reflect the path. You don't need
the further complication of a conditional field.

e.g
{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\My Documents\\{mergefield
orgtype}\\Marketing\\clientdata.doc" Bookmarkname}
or
{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\My Documents\\Clientname\\Marketing\\clientdata.doc"
{Mergefield Orgtype}}

You will need to toggle the display to show the field result and update the
field before merging to a new document, or you will get a file or bookmark
error message (which you report that you are getting).

Smokey smith wrote:
My business deals with 4 different types of clients and I want to
send a different mailmerge letter to each client.

I have written a letter with some common text and the parts of the
letter that are different for each client type I have in separate
bookmarks in another document.

Each different type of client is identified by a field called
orgtype.

The logic of the program is quite simple - a nested if statement.

My difficulty is as part of the true condition I insert {INCLUDETEXT
"C:\\My Documents\\[Business Name]\\Marketing\\clientdata.doc"
[Bookmark]} and end up with an invalid file name error.

HELP

Smokey smith

Graham

Thankyou for your response. I am sorry for not providing sufficient detail.

My business deals with schools (1); Kindergartens(2); Child Care centres(3);
and Age Care(4). Each of these businesses are identifed in a field called
"orgtype"

What I want is to be able to give a different letter for each client type
when I run the mail merge.

The Bookmarks are stored in a separate document.

As I said the logic of the program is quite simple:

{if {mergefield orgtype} = 1 {includetext"C:\\Business\\Marketing\\marketing
letter.doc" Schools} {if {mergefield orgtype} = 2
{includetext"C:\\Business\\Marketing\\marketing letter.doc" Kindergartens}{if
{mergefield orgtype} = 3 {includetext"C:\\Business\\Marketing\\marketing
letter.doc" Child Care Centres}
includetext"C:\\Business\\Marketing\\marketing letter.doc" Age Care}

Even after updating the field and toggling the field codes I still get the
error. I hope this extra information assists in understanding my issues.

Peter

"Smokey smith" wrote:

My business deals with 4 different types of clients and I want to send a
different mailmerge letter to each client.

I have written a letter with some common text and the parts of the letter
that are different for each client type I have in separate bookmarks in
another document.

Each different type of client is identified by a field called orgtype.

The logic of the program is quite simple - a nested if statement.

My difficulty is as part of the true condition I insert {INCLUDETEXT "C:\\My
Documents\\[Business Name]\\Marketing\\clientdata.doc" [Bookmark]} and end up
with an invalid file name error.

HELP

Smokey smith

Graham

Your assistance is greatly appreciated! I have changed the bookmark names
and ensure that they match with the names that are stored in the document and
still get the error.

Do you have any further ideas?

Peter

Smokey smith wrote:
My business deals with 4 different types of clients and I want to
send a different mailmerge letter to each client.

I have written a letter with some common text and the parts of the
letter that are different for each client type I have in separate
bookmarks in another document.

Each different type of client is identified by a field called
orgtype.

The logic of the program is quite simple - a nested if statement.

My difficulty is as part of the true condition I insert {INCLUDETEXT
"C:\\My Documents\\[Business Name]\\Marketing\\clientdata.doc"
[Bookmark]} and end up with an invalid file name error.

HELP

Graham Mayor

Sorry, not at the moment.

I would ask you to post the document(s) but I am about to leave for the
airport as I am relocating to Cyprus today, and I may be off line for a
while as I will only have a poor dial-up connection to contend with until I
can get the local telecom company sorted out. Without looking at the exact
codes you are posting and what they are supposed to gather it is difficult
to spot where the error lies.

Test it by creating a document containing your standard texts. Mark the
standard texts as legitimate bookmarks and save that document. Then try
using the includetext without reference to mergefield to insert those texts
into a document. If that all works, broaden it out to selectively pick the
texts according to the merge data as originally suggested.

Until I am re-established, this is the best I can offer. Sorry

Smokey smith wrote:
My business deals with 4 different types of clients and I want to
send a different mailmerge letter to each client.

I have written a letter with some common text and the parts of the
letter that are different for each client type I have in separate
bookmarks in another document.

Each different type of client is identified by a field called
orgtype.

The logic of the program is quite simple - a nested if statement.

My difficulty is as part of the true condition I insert {INCLUDETEXT
"C:\\My Documents\\[Business Name]\\Marketing\\clientdata.doc"
[Bookmark]} and end up with an invalid file name error.

HELP

Smokey smith

Graham

Thank you for what you have done. I will implement your suggestions. Good
luck with the move.

Peter

Smokey smith wrote:
My business deals with 4 different types of clients and I want to
send a different mailmerge letter to each client.

I have written a letter with some common text and the parts of the
letter that are different for each client type I have in separate
bookmarks in another document.

Each different type of client is identified by a field called
orgtype.

The logic of the program is quite simple - a nested if statement.

My difficulty is as part of the true condition I insert {INCLUDETEXT
"C:\\My Documents\\[Business Name]\\Marketing\\clientdata.doc"
[Bookmark]} and end up with an invalid file name error.

HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ameobia Ameobia is offline

Here is what I did:

With that particular code, I inserted an IF statement with the condition =
"youralphnumericvariable". Next I put in the Includetext field and the file
path and name, with each particular code having it's own separate file.
There were no bookmarks needed. Granted there were several smaller files,
but the solution worked for me.

Ameobia