Visionary Soup

Default How I get Word to.........

print mailmerged documents to the printer and staple them separately? For
example I sent 3 addressed 3 paged letters and the printer staple after all
the letter had been completed. (9 sheets were then stapled!)
Peter Jamieson

This question pops up from time to time. The main possibilities are as
follows - (c) has definitely worked in other cases:
a. have a good look at the printer driver options, and see if there is any
way you can trigger the stapling action by, e.g. specifying that page or
perhaps the last page comes from a different bin. I doubt it, but worth
looking.
b. if you have a detailed technical manual for the printer that tells you
what sequence to send to trigger the stapling action, you may be able to put
that sequence into a { PRINT } field at the beginning or end of your
document. Again, PRINT only works in certain circumstances so it's a long
shot. You might also be able to work out what control sequence or postscript
code is used to trigger stapling by checking the "print to file" option in
File|Print and comparing the output of "stapled" and "non-stapled" documents
in e.g. Notepad. Also a long shot. You may find with Word XP you can issue
the corrct sequence in some way using Word Mailmerge events.
c. Instead of doing one merge for all the records in your data source, use
VBA to do one merge for each record in your data source. You should then see
one print job per packet rather than a 1500 page print job. Some starting
point code is as follows - you may find see the Print dialog for each merge,
depending on the version of Word. If your merge processes multiple source
data records per packet you will obviously need to modify the source code.

Sub OneMergePerSourceRec()
'

' NB, needs bettor error management and doubtless other things a VBA expert
' will point out.

Dim intSourceRecord
Dim objMerge As Word.MailMerge
Dim strOutputDocumentName As String
Dim TerminateMerge As Boolean

' Need to set up this object as the ActiveDocument changes when the
' merge is performed. Besides, it's clearer.

Set objMerge = ActiveDocument.MailMerge
With objMerge

' If no data source has been defined, do it here using OpenDataSource.
' But if it is already defined in the document, you should not need to
define it here.

' .OpenDataSource _
' Name:="whatever"

intSourceRecord = 1
TerminateMerge = False

Do Until TerminateMerge
.DataSource.ActiveRecord = intSourceRecord

' if we have gone past the end (and possibly, if there are no records)
' then the Activerecord will not be what we have just tried to set it to

If .DataSource.ActiveRecord intSourceRecord Then
TerminateMerge = True
' the record exists
Else

.DataSource.FirstRecord = intSourceRecord
.DataSource.LastRecord = intSourceRecord
.Destination = wdSendToPrinter
.Execute
intSourceRecord = intSourceRecord + 1
End If
Loop
End With
End Sub

d. Perform the merge to an output file and print each section in turn - you
would need to change this if you have more than one section in your mail
merge main document.

Sub PrintEachSection()
Dim iSectionCount As Integer
For iSectionCount = 1 To ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="s" & iSectionCount,
To:="s" & iSectionCount
Next iSectionCount
End Sub

--
Peter Jamieson

"Visionary Soup" Visionary wrote in message
print mailmerged documents to the printer and staple them separately? For
example I sent 3 addressed 3 paged letters and the printer staple after
all
the letter had been completed. (9 sheets were then stapled!)

Doug Robbins

Execute the merge to a new document and then run a macro containing the
following code when that document is the active document:

Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="s" & i, To:="s" & i
Next i

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Visionary Soup" Visionary wrote in message
print mailmerged documents to the printer and staple them separately? For
example I sent 3 addressed 3 paged letters and the printer staple after
all
the letter had been completed. (9 sheets were then stapled!)

leftnotracks

Your printer is doing the stapling, not Word. So it's your printer that needs
to be told where the staples go. That is probably done only at the Job level,
meaning it will staple every page of a print job.

You'll eed to print each section separately.

"Visionary Soup" wrote:

print mailmerged documents to the printer and staple them separately? For
example I sent 3 addressed 3 paged letters and the printer staple after all
the letter had been completed. (9 sheets were then stapled!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
amie

i have used d and gotten option d to work. however with my database growing,
merging to a document will not work as well with the size restraint. I hope
to get your option c to work. My document is 14 pages that will need to be
duplexed & stapled. The database and word doc are already merged. I used your
code
Sub OneMergePerSourceRec()
Dim intSourceRecord
Dim objMerge As Word.MailMerge
Dim strOutputDocumentName As String
Dim TerminateMerge As Boolean
Set objMerge = ActiveDocument.MailMerge
With objMerge
intSourceRecord = 1
TerminateMerge = False
Do Until TerminateMerge
..DataSource.ActiveRecord = intSourceRecord
If .DataSource.ActiveRecord intSourceRecord Then
TerminateMerge = True
..DataSource.FirstRecord = intSourceRecord
..DataSource.LastRecord = intSourceRecord
..Destination = wdSendToPrinter
..Execute
intSourceRecord = intSourceRecord + 1
End If
Loop
End With
End Sub

When I use this code it locks my computer & disables macros for that
document. What am I doing wrong?

To:="s" & iSectionCount
Next iSectionCount
End Sub

--
Peter Jamieson

"Visionary Soup" Visionary wrote in message
print mailmerged documents to the printer and staple them separately? For
example I sent 3 addressed 3 paged letters and the printer staple after
all
the letter had been completed. (9 sheets were then stapled!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Uncheck the Background Printing box in ToolsOptionsPrint and see it that
makes any difference. When you do that, the document for each record will
be printed before the next one is merged.

--

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

To:="s" & iSectionCount
Next iSectionCount
End Sub

--
Peter Jamieson

"Visionary Soup" Visionary wrote in
message
print mailmerged documents to the printer and staple them separately?
For
example I sent 3 addressed 3 paged letters and the printer staple after
all
the letter had been completed. (9 sheets were then stapled!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dvya

Ive copied and pasted the code and its telling me that i have a syntax error.
Any advice?

Thank You,

DVYA

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Execute the merge to a new document and then run a macro containing the
following code when that document is the active document:

Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="s" & i, To:="s" & i
Next i

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Visionary Soup" Visionary wrote in message
print mailmerged documents to the printer and staple them separately? For
example I sent 3 addressed 3 paged letters and the printer staple after
all
the letter had been completed. (9 sheets were then stapled!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You probably have what was intended to be the third line of a four line
macro with a line break in it. Try the following version which is less
likely to have the lines broken by the email program:

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To .Sections.Count