Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alexey Aksyonenko

Default Where are custom mailing label definitions stored in Word 2003?

I installed a product that has added a paper type and a number of different
label definitions in the Envelops and Labels wizard on the Labels tab.
I now want to do the same, but with MY paper type and label definitions
(width, height, etc). I want to include some kind of an install disk that I
can include with the labels that I sell that will add these settings on my
customers' systems. So far I have been unable to find exactly where these
settings are stored. Can anyone help?
--
Alexey
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I believe they are stored in the registry under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Custom Labels

You /may/ be able to
a. use the registry editor to export that registry key,
b. edit the resulting text if you only want some of the definitions in it
c. distribute the .reg file
d. get people who need the layout definitions to double-click on the .reg
file to import it into their registry (and remember that this will overwrite
any existing definitions)

Or you could probably do the above using some VBA (I do not have any for
this).

I haven't tried it, but that's what I would try first.

Peter Jamieson

"Alexey Aksyonenko" wrote in
message ...
I installed a product that has added a paper type and a number of different
label definitions in the Envelops and Labels wizard on the Labels tab.
I now want to do the same, but with MY paper type and label definitions
(width, height, etc). I want to include some kind of an install disk that
can include with the labels that I sell that will add these settings on my
customers' systems. So far I have been unable to find exactly where these
settings are stored. Can anyone help?
--
Alexey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Note that label definitions are not transportable between different Word
versions - but otherwise Peter has it right - see
http://www.gmayor.com/custom_labels.htm

wrote in message
I installed a product that has added a paper type and a number of
different label definitions in the Envelops and Labels wizard on the
Labels tab. I now want to do the same, but with MY paper type and label
definitions (width, height, etc). I want to include some kind of an
install disk that I
can include with the labels that I sell that will add these settings
on my customers' systems. So far I have been unable to find exactly
where these settings are stored. Can anyone help?
--
Alexey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alexey Aksyonenko

Gentlemen,
I do appraciate the tip. I have found that solution on Google as well as
Microsoft search. The thing is, I would like to add my own "Label products"
category in the drop-down, instead of creating all my labels under
"Other/Custom". Is that possible?

--
Alexey

wrote in message
I installed a product that has added a paper type and a number of
different label definitions in the Envelops and Labels wizard on the
Labels tab. I now want to do the same, but with MY paper type and label
definitions (width, height, etc). I want to include some kind of an
install disk that I
can include with the labels that I sell that will add these settings
on my customers' systems. So far I have been unable to find exactly
where these settings are stored. Can anyone help?
--
Alexey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Not that I am aware of. Are you sure your labels are not pre-defined. Most
are already covered.

wrote in message
I installed a product that has added a paper type and a number of
different label definitions in the Envelops and Labels wizard on
the Labels tab. I now want to do the same, but with MY paper type
and label definitions (width, height, etc). I want to include
some kind of an install disk that I
can include with the labels that I sell that will add these
settings on my customers' systems. So far I have been unable to
find exactly where these settings are stored. Can anyone help?
--
Alexey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alexey Aksyonenko

Actually, it is possible that they are. Too bad one can not edit those
definitions, or at least add to them in a structured manner.
Thank you very much for your help.
--
Alexey

wrote in message
I installed a product that has added a paper type and a number of
different label definitions in the Envelops and Labels wizard on
the Labels tab. I now want to do the same, but with MY paper type
and label definitions (width, height, etc). I want to include
some kind of an install disk that I
can include with the labels that I sell that will add these
settings on my customers' systems. So far I have been unable to
find exactly where these settings are stored. Can anyone help?
--
Alexey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Of course you can edit them? Click 'details' and make the changes. Your
personal label definitions are stored under Other/Custom - How many
different label formats are you likely to use for this to be a problem?
Furthermore if the labels are not printing correctly, chances are that it is
not the label layout that its wrong but some other setting (usually a
mismatch between paper (printer) and page size (document) and a scale option
set in the print dialog.

wrote in message
I installed a product that has added a paper type and a number of
different label definitions in the Envelops and Labels wizard on
the Labels tab. I now want to do the same, but with MY paper type
and label definitions (width, height, etc). I want to include
some kind of an install disk that I
can include with the labels that I sell that will add these
settings on my customers' systems. So far I have been unable to
find exactly where these settings are stored. Can anyone help?
--
Alexey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

If you want to have your own brand listed, I suggest you contact Microsoft
directly (we are just volunteers), provide them with a list and ask them to
include it the next time they update that part of Word. You never know...

If you do that, you could also suggest that a simple extension to the way
the "Custom labels" key in the registry is used would support your
requirement - e.g., if only you could add a subkey called "AksyonenkoLabels"
(or whatever) and add your label definitions under that. (I tried it, just
in case Microsoft had implemented something like that, but it doesn't work).

Peter Jamieson
"Alexey Aksyonenko" wrote in
message ...