Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Christina Garcia Christina Garcia is offline

Default Insert/Reference/Footnote does not open dialog box

I have a Word 2003 doc. When you select Insert/Reference/Footnote... it adds
the footnote instead of opening the Footnote and Endnote Dialag box. I need
to change the endnote numbering style from "i" to "1". Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I don't know what has happened, but try the following:
a. select one of the footnote/endnote markers in the footnote/endnote area
(i.e., not in the main body of the document)
b. right click
c. choose Note Options

Peter Jamieson
"Christina Garcia" Christina wrote in
message ...
I have a Word 2003 doc. When you select Insert/Reference/Footnote... it
adds
the footnote instead of opening the Footnote and Endnote Dialag box. I
need
to change the endnote numbering style from "i" to "1". Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?Q2hyaXN0aW5hIEdhcmNpYQ==?=,

I have a Word 2003 doc. When you select Insert/Reference/Footnote... it adds
the footnote instead of opening the Footnote and Endnote Dialag box. I need
to change the endnote numbering style from "i" to "1".

If you hold down the CTRL key when starting Word, then try the menu command
above, do you get the dialog box?

If yes, you probably have a macro somewhere on your system named InsertFootnote
that's just inserting a footnote.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Christina Garcia Christina Garcia is offline

Cindy, I love you! I had TOTALLY forgotten about safe mode. After the post,
I did zero in on the customized macro causing the problem, but as most
developer's do, our developer locked the customizations.

I tried it the minute I got in the office and it worked. All is calm once
again in attorney-world. I'm having the developer make the necessary
modifications.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hyaXN0aW5hIEdhcmNpYQ==?=,

I have a Word 2003 doc. When you select Insert/Reference/Footnote... it adds
the footnote instead of opening the Footnote and Endnote Dialag box. I need
to change the endnote numbering style from "i" to "1".

If you hold down the CTRL key when starting Word, then try the menu command
above, do you get the dialog box?

If yes, you probably have a macro somewhere on your system named InsertFootnote
that's just inserting a footnote.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Christina Garcia Christina Garcia is offline

Hi Peter, thanks for responding. Your suggestion is correct. Both (1)
Insert/Reference Footnote or; (2) selecting note options in the footnote
pane's shortcut pane opens the Footnote and Endnote dialog box.

However, because of the extensive customizations in our Word environment,
neither of these two Word native options are available to us.

Opening Word in safe mode (Ctrl + launch Word) bypassed all customizations
allowing for the endnote modifications to be made. We saved the document
locally, opened it in customized Word and saved it to our DM program.

I'm new to this community and the level of professional enthusiasm to help
the hapless is the best I've ever experienced. Thank you again for your time
and efforts to help us out.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I don't know what has happened, but try the following:
a. select one of the footnote/endnote markers in the footnote/endnote area
(i.e., not in the main body of the document)
b. right click
c. choose Note Options

Peter Jamieson
"Christina Garcia" Christina wrote in
message ...
I have a Word 2003 doc. When you select Insert/Reference/Footnote... it
adds
the footnote instead of opening the Footnote and Endnote Dialag box. I
need
to change the endnote numbering style from "i" to "1". Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Thanks for the bits of feedback...

Peter Jamieson
"Christina Garcia" wrote in
message ...

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I don't know what has happened, but try the following:
a. select one of the footnote/endnote markers in the footnote/endnote
area
(i.e., not in the main body of the document)
b. right click
c. choose Note Options

Peter Jamieson
"Christina Garcia" Christina wrote
in
message ...
I have a Word 2003 doc. When you select Insert/Reference/Footnote...
it
adds
the footnote instead of opening the Footnote and Endnote Dialag box.
need
to change the endnote numbering style from "i" to "1". Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Christina,

I tried it the minute I got in the office and it worked. All is calm once
again in attorney-world. I'm having the developer make the necessary
modifications.

Glad things are moving along (more) smoothly :-)

Cindy Meister