Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CCloud CCloud is offline

Default All records merging

We have a word letter setup to merge with an Access database. We have been
doing this for several years without a problem. Then last week, when using
the merge, we select the desired records click next, select print and all
records print, if we look at the list- it has defaulted back to selecting all.
Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q0Nsb3Vk?=,

We have a word letter setup to merge with an Access database. We have been
doing this for several years without a problem. Then last week, when using
the merge, we select the desired records click next, select print and all
records print, if we look at the list- it has defaulted back to selecting all.

And after closing down and restarting, does it still?

Which version of Office are you using? If 2002 or 2003 how are you selecting the
records to be printed?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CCloud CCloud is offline

2003
We are working throught the mailmerge taskpane as we have for a long time.
Selecting edit recipients. Selecting clear all. Checking just the names we
want. We click okay- and move on - but all when we return to look at who we
selected after all letters merge, we see that all records are reselected.
Thanks

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Q0Nsb3Vk?=,

We have a word letter setup to merge with an Access database. We have been
doing this for several years without a problem. Then last week, when using
the merge, we select the desired records click next, select print and all
records print, if we look at the list- it has defaulted back to selecting all.

And after closing down and restarting, does it still?

Which version of Office are you using? If 2002 or 2003 how are you selecting the
records to be printed?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q0Nsb3Vk?=,

2003
We are working throught the mailmerge taskpane as we have for a long time.
Selecting edit recipients. Selecting clear all. Checking just the names we
want. We click okay- and move on - but all when we return to look at who we
selected after all letters merge, we see that all records are reselected.

Right. I'm not a big fan of this dialog box, as it has certain problems. But I
do understand why it's useful :-)

I'm guessing it could be a problem with the document (damaged). If you start
Word holding Ctrl (= Safe Mode) and link to your datasource, insert a couple
of fields, select some recipients and merge...

Does this document retain the selections, as you'd expect?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q0Nsb3Vk?=,

Opening Word in Safe Mode - does not help. All records continue to be merged.

And this is with a NEW document (not the one you've been using)?

You say you've been working with this combination "a long time". Since which
version of Office? Have you re-linked the data source to the document recently?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CCloud CCloud is offline

Yes, we created a new document in safe mode -after disconnecting the network
drive where the database sits and reconnecting it, and still all records
merge. This is on Office 2003.

This however did work on a 2007 beta machine.

Still need a solution for 2003.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Q0Nsb3Vk?=,

Opening Word in Safe Mode - does not help. All records continue to be merged.

And this is with a NEW document (not the one you've been using)?

You say you've been working with this combination "a long time". Since which
version of Office? Have you re-linked the data source to the document recently?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q0Nsb3Vk?=,

Yes, we created a new document in safe mode -after disconnecting the network
drive where the database sits and reconnecting it, and still all records
merge. This is on Office 2003.

This however did work on a 2007 beta machine.

Still need a solution for 2003.

Very strange... Which Service Pack is installed?

To get it working, you might try using a different connection method (DDE or
ODBC). Activate the "Confirm conversions" checkbox in Tools/Options/General. Go
over Open Datasource again, choose the *.mdb... And you should get a new dialog
box with a list of possible connection methods. Try ODBC first...