Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
merger merger is offline

Default Re-number on a merge

Hi this is my first post on this forum so please be gentle.

I am using Office 2000.

I a merging to word from excel. the excel speet has various catagories
some which are not populated. When I merge I need the populated cells
to be numbered. If I use numbered bullet points it will miss out the
numbers of cells not populated so, assuming cells 1, 3 and 4 are
populated) I get data like:

1 First
3 Third
4 Forth

Where what I need is

1 First
2 Third
3 Forth

I have been told that the German version of word automatticaly
re-numbers but I can't seem to get this to work in the English
version.

Any ideas or help please.

Thanks.

--
merger
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Merger,

I am using Office 2000.

I a merging to word from excel. the excel speet has various catagories
some which are not populated. When I merge I need the populated cells
to be numbered. If I use numbered bullet points it will miss out the
numbers of cells not populated so, assuming cells 1, 3 and 4 are
populated) I get data like:

1 First
3 Third
4 Forth

Where what I need is

1 First
2 Third
3 Forth

I have been told that the German version of word automatticaly
re-numbers but I can't seem to get this to work in the English
version.

Ummm. Is this a catalog type of merge? Do you have any IF fields stuck
in there somewhere? Are you merging to a new document, or directly to
the printer?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
merger merger is offline

Hi,

It is a catalogue type of mailing with 11 catagories and 11 products.

No "If" fields or any other functions.

I am merging directly to a printer however, if I needed to, I could
merge to another document.

--
merger
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Is this numbering problem in Excel or in Word?

Also, it's news to me that you can execute a catalog merge directly to a
printer. I do not think that is possible, at least not with Word XP and
later.

My experience is that if in Excel you have the following in the cells in a
column

One

Three
Four

where there is an empty cell between the One and the Three, if you merge
that information into a Word document via a catalog merge and you apply
numbering to the mergefield, what you will get is

1 One
2
3 Three
4 Four

How are you going about getting

1 First
3 Third
4 Forth

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"merger" wrote in message

Hi,

It is a catalogue type of mailing with 11 catagories and 11 products.

No "If" fields or any other functions.

I am merging directly to a printer however, if I needed to, I could
merge to another document.

--
merger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
merger merger is offline

Hi Doug,

In Excel I have a similar to this set up

Name,Address1,Address2,Catagory1,Catergory2,Catego ry3,Category4,Etc

So imagine the fields populated but in the Categories some fields are
empty. So I merge using

Category1
Category2
Category3
Etc.

In Word I have the numbered bullet points set against these fields.
Word then leaves out any unpopulated field but still seems to count
them so if Category 2 is empty I get

1 Category1
3 Catagory3

In the file I am dealing with I have 11 Categories and 11 Products
which need the same treatment. The file also has 10,000 records but
this may go to 100,000 so I would like to get away with manually
getting rid of all of the blanks in the spreadsheet.

Does this make sense?

Thanks

--
merger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In the merge, don't you get

1 Category1
2
3 Catagory3

That is what I get under those circumstances

While it is still not really clear how you wish the data to be presented,
given the volume of data you are talking about, I would be using Access and
a report in Access.

--

"merger" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
merger merger is offline

I get this if I use autonumber but not bullet point numbering.

I just need the data to be listed in 2 single columns, so basically as
it is shown below.

We do not have Access installed on the server!!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP Wrote:
In the merge, don't you get

1 Category1
2
3 Catagory3

That is what I get under those circumstances

While it is still not really clear how you wish the data to be
presented,
given the volume of data you are talking about, I would be using Access
and
a report in Access.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"merger" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Merger,

OK, I think I'm following you... The reason the numbers appear to be
"skipped" is because Word is automatically suppressing lines that
contain ONLY a merge field, and that merge field is "empty". I can
duplicate that behavior.

Now, when I merge something like this to a new document, then
lines with the "empty" fields are removed, and the document
automatically renumbers. Try that?