Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mcstr mcstr is offline

Default Envelope Template

How do I set the envelope template I've created as the default?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The default when you do what?

What you probably need to do is save the template as a .dot and use Word
File|New to create a new envelope document based on that template. In that
case you /may/ need to remove any attached data source before you save the
template, depending on the data source.

Or save the "template" as a .doc and simply open it and modify it as
necessary each time you want to use it.

Did you have something else in mind?

Peter Jamieson

"mcstr" wrote in message
news
How do I set the envelope template I've created as the default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mcstr mcstr is offline

I want to use it as the default envelope when I write a letter and then
choose an envelope. Or when I do a mail merge and use envelopes.

I would be hppay if I could cut and paste my loge and return address info in
the Return Adddress box in the envelope and labels obx but it wouldn't paste.

Mick

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

The default when you do what?

What you probably need to do is save the template as a .dot and use Word
File|New to create a new envelope document based on that template. In that
case you /may/ need to remove any attached data source before you save the
template, depending on the data source.

Or save the "template" as a .doc and simply open it and modify it as
necessary each time you want to use it.

Did you have something else in mind?

Peter Jamieson

"mcstr" wrote in message
news
How do I set the envelope template I've created as the default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would be hppay if I could cut and paste my loge and return address info
in
the Return Adddress box in the envelope and labels obx but it wouldn't
paste.

You can get around this as follows:
a. Select the logo+text you want in your Return Address.
b. Click Insert|Autotext|New and give the autotext a name (e.g. "r", "a",
"rta" or some such)
c. when you are in Tools|"Letters and Mailings"|Envelopes and labels,
- clear any existing text from the Return Address box
- type the name you used in (b)
- press F3

With any luck you should see the graphic that you could not get in this box
earlier. If you want to stop the text coming up by default in this box,
ensure you clear it in Tools|Options|User Information|Mailing address and
never select your logo+text as the default mailing address (only the text
and a weird character will be stored).

If you're doing Mailmerge, things are slightly different because you would
typically need to include merge fields in the Envelope address: if you're
/just/ doing envelopes, then you should proceed as I suggested in my earlier
message.

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

The default when you do what?

What you probably need to do is save the template as a .dot and use Word
File|New to create a new envelope document based on that template. In
that
case you /may/ need to remove any attached data source before you save
the
template, depending on the data source.

Or save the "template" as a .doc and simply open it and modify it as
necessary each time you want to use it.

Did you have something else in mind?

Peter Jamieson

"mcstr" wrote in message
news
How do I set the envelope template I've created as the default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mcstr mcstr is offline

That works great, thanks! But....

When I bring up the envelope and type in the Autotext name and press F3,
then press add to document, the return address and logo are off the page to
the left. Is there a way to make sure the placement of the return address
and logo are placed appropriately on the envelope and that it stays that way?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

The default when you do what?

What you probably need to do is save the template as a .dot and use Word
File|New to create a new envelope document based on that template. In
that
case you /may/ need to remove any attached data source before you save
the
template, depending on the data source.

Or save the "template" as a .doc and simply open it and modify it as
necessary each time you want to use it.

Did you have something else in mind?

Peter Jamieson

"mcstr" wrote in message
news How do I set the envelope template I've created as the default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

WHen you insert the Autotext, the items you insert should adopt the
formatting of the paragraph style of the paragraph you're inserting them
into. If they don't, my best guess is that you have included a paragraph
mark in the Autotext, that it is introducing a paragraph with another style,
and you should probably get rid of the mark.

To do that, you would need to
a. reselect the material you want, without the paragraph mark
b. recreate the autotext

To do (a), use the "pilcrow" button on the standard toolbar (i.e. typically
the one at the top) to reveal all the formatting marks such as spaces,
paragraph marks etc. The pilcrow is the one that looks like an elaborate
reversed "P". When you select your text and logo, your current settings may
cause the selection to extend to include the paragraph mark. If so, press
shift-left arrow and (as long as you started selection att the beginning of
the text/logo) the paragraph mark should be removed from the selection.

Doing (b) should be straightforward.

Then try the insertion again.

Peter Jamieson
news

"mcstr" wrote in message
news How do I set the envelope template I've created as the default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mcstr mcstr is offline

I wish I could explain the problem better or show you exactly what's going
on! I followed your instructions but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.
I created this "Logo" from a logo of the company I work for that was emailed
to me in JPEG format. I then added a text box with my name and title and
another text box with my address. I then selected all three objects and
grouped them together. I deleted the autotext I created earlier. I
selected the grouped object and pressed the pilcrow and then created a new
autotext. Then I opened a new document, selected the Letters and Mailings,
input my autotext and pressed F3 and added to document. The "return"
sometimes appears in this view and sometimes not. When it does, it is not in
the customarty upper left-hand corner. HELP!

"mcstr" wrote in message
news How do I set the envelope template I've created as the default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, I'm just guessing right now but text boxes have positional information
in them and that's probably being used when you insert.

My best guess based on what youhave said is that you will probably need to
place the stuff you want in the exact position you want it in futre before
creating the autotext. (For simple inline text and graphics you seem to be
able to create the autotext anywhere). Alternatively, you could /try/
selecting the graphics+text then using edit|copy and Edit|Paste special to
re-insert the whole thing as a graphic (perhaps a bitmap) before creating
the autotext. In that case you may lose some quality, particularly in the
text, but it's all I can think of right now.

Peter Jamieson