Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Misha Misha is offline

Default AutoCorrect in Office 2007

I have three computers €“ 2 desktops and a laptop, running Office 2007
Professional. The built-in Auto correct entries appear in Desktop 1, but not
on Desktop 2 and the laptop. All I get on the latter is a list of the symbols
in Word. For instance, on Desktop 1 €˜teh will change to €˜the, but not so on
the other two because the built-in list of words is absent. How can I get
these to appear?
Custom additions are OK.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TWlzaGE=?=,

I have three computers €“ 2 desktops and a laptop, running Office 2007
Professional. The built-in Auto correct entries appear in Desktop 1, but not
on Desktop 2 and the laptop. All I get on the latter is a list of the symbols
in Word. For instance, on Desktop 1 €˜teh will change to €˜the, but not so on
the other two because the built-in list of words is absent. How can I get
these to appear?
Custom additions are OK.

How about in Excel or Powerpoint, are the entries missing there, as well?

AutoCorrect is stored in *.acl files. It sounds like it wasn't installed, or has gone
missing.

How about repairing the installation of Office 2007 on those machines?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Misha Misha is offline

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWlzaGE=?=,

I have three computers €€œ 2 desktops and a laptop, running Office 2007
[...]

I tried the repair to no avail. The entries appear in PowerPoint but not Excel, and in Access the option is greyed out on ALL three computers.

Is there a way of copying the .acl files from one computer to the others.
Where are they installed? I did a search for*.acl on the computer that has
the entries, but came up with a blank.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:35:01 -0700, Misha
wrote:

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWlzaGE=?=,

[...]

Your search didn't find them because they're in a hidden folder, and by default
the search doesn't include hidden folders. You should be able to see them by
entering this in the address bar of the file manager:
%appdata%\Microsoft\Office

An alternative is to export the entries from one computer and import them on the
others, using the add-in that you can download from
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...utocorrect.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:21:39 -0400, Jay Freedman
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:35:01 -0700, Misha
wrote:

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWlzaGE=?=,

[...]

Oops, I wasn't thinking about this being for Word 2007. The equivalent add-in
for that version is at http://jay-freedman.info (AutoCorrect2007.zip).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Misha Misha is offline

Thank you so much. That worked a treat.

Is there any reason for the problem to occur? I know of at least tow of my
clients with laptops who have the same thing.

wrote:

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Is there any reason for the problem to occur?

Not that I know of. The default AutoCorrect lists aren't among the choices that
you can include or exclude in the Office installer, so I assume they're part of
the core installation.

The installer should create files named MSO.ACL in various numbered folders
under the Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 folder -- the numbers are
language IDs -- and those should be copied to the %appdata%\Microsoft\Office
folder when you run the Office programs. (I'm not sure whether that happens on
first use or when you make the first nondefault plain-text entry.)

If the MSO.ACL files don't appear in the Office12 folders, try repairing the
installation as Cindy suggested.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:35:01 -0700, Misha
wrote:

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWlzaGE=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deb RW Deb RW is offline

I'm having a similar problem, Jay. Re-installed Office 2007 on a new laptop,
and all the additional Auto Corrects I added on the old machine are missing.
I see the *.acl files on the new laptop - they're distributed among about 15
locations. They exist on my old hard drive in about the same number of
locations.

I tried using the Add-In macro you posted for Office 2007, but my system
wouldn't read the macro, even when I lowered my security to accept all macros.

If I can just copy the files containing .acl files from my old to my new
hard drive ... where, specifically, should I place them?

Thanks in advance!

wrote:

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Each file from the old computer should be copied to the corresponding
folder on the new computer.

There should be two sets of files.

- The installation files are all named "MSO.ACL", and they're stored
in numbered folders under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
-- the numbers are language identifiers, such as 1033 for English
(US). How many of them you have depends on what base language of
Office you installed and whether you added more languages to it. Since
this set of files never changes, there's no need to copy them to the
new computer.

- The "working set" of files to which you can add entries have the
numbers embedded in the file name, such as "MSO1033.ACL". Those are
stored in your profile.

If the old computer is using Windows XP or earlier, and the new one is
using Vista or Windows 7, that complicates things a bit because the
location of the profile changed. The XP location of the ACL files is

C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Office

The corresponding location for Vista and Windows 7 is

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:35:01 -0700, Misha
wrote:

Hi ?B?TWlzaGE=?=,