Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SWitte SWitte is offline

Default Long division in Word 2007

As a middle school math teacher, I was so excited when I saw the
Equation button on the Insert ribbon of Word 2007 (instead of it being
buried in the objects menu like it was before). So I went to use it
to write a test and wanted to put a standard long division problem
(you know, it looks like a square root sign with out the check mark
part) into my document, which I know I could do before with equation
editor in Office 95-2003. However, no matter how hard I look, I can't
find anything that looks like it will show long division for me.
Can someone please help me find this? I can't imagine they tossed it
out.
Thanks in advance!

Shannay Witte
New England Public School
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Shannay, "they" didn't toss it out because "they" never had it
there in the first place. Now clearly you know you had one
available in Word 2003, so what in the world am I talking about?
I'm talking about the "they" being Microsoft. The "new" equation
editor in Word 2007 (aka, the "OMML equation editor") is what
you're using, and I couldn't find a long division template there
either. However, the "old" equation editor (aka "Microsoft
Equation", or simply "Equation Editor") is still available, and
still buried in the Insert Object dialog box. In the Text group
on the Insert tab, click Object, the same Insert Object dialog
that you know and love will pop up, and Microsoft Equation 3.0
will be one of the choices. The same 2 long division templates
that you've been using in older versions are still there.

There's another option -- MathType. MathType 6 is newly-released,
and integrates very well with Office 2007, adding a MathType tab
to the Word and PowerPoint ribbons. (The OMML equation editor
isn't available in PowerPoint.) To try MathType free for 30 days,
see our website (link in my signature).

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SWitte SWitte is offline

Thanks so much for your help. I didn't realize it was two different things,
but I'm glad it is still in there somewhere (although I still have to dig for
it). I think I tried MathType a while back and found it to be a nice product,
but since public schools don't have the budget for lots of extras, I get
along with what I've got!
Thanks again!
Shannay Witte

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Bob

I hadn't realized that the old Equation Editor was still there in Word 2007.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Bob Mathews" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There doesn't seem to be a built-in command you can add to the QAT, but the
following macro added there will do the job

Sub InsertEquation3()
Selection.InlineShapes.AddOLEObject ClassType:="Equation.3"
End Sub

Bob Mathews wrote:
[...]

how to illustrate long division in word viper New Users 6 May 28th 07 05:48 PM
long division viper New Users 1 May 24th 07 06:38 PM
Word 2007 and Long Docs Greg Dunn Formatting Long Documents 1 March 7th 07 05:09 PM
How do I bcc a long list of contacts directly from Word 2007? steph_anie7 Microsoft Word Help 1 July 12th 06 08:50 PM
Make math long division boxes in Microsoft Word Jack Microsoft Word Help 1 May 13th 05 05:42 AM