The abbreviation symbol for paragraph?

Old September 28th 08, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

Default The abbreviation symbol for paragraph?

How does one type the abbreviation symbol for paragraph?
Old September 28th 08, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
$hri...![_2_]

ΒΆ Paragraph

Old September 28th 08, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Insert | Symbol and choose character U00B6 (in the Latin-1 character
subset). You can assign a shortcut key if desired by selecting the character
and clicking Shortcut Key...

Alternatively, you can press Alt and type 0182 on the numeric keypad.

Old September 28th 08, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed. Being somewhat innumerate, I have difficulty remembering those
combinations, so I do better with a keyboard shortcut that involves letters.
If I were doing this one, I'd have to use Ctrl+Alt+P since I have
Ctrl+Shift+P assigned to opening Microsoft Publisher.

Old September 28th 08, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]

I only first used a Unicode number the other day when I was making a
chart on the basis of the manual that came with a font full of Private
Use Area characters -- for Luwian hieroglyphs, as it happens. Happily,
both that number and the glyph's number in the standard catalog of the
script were included in the manual's chart.

Otherwise, if I don't go to the trouble of activating a keyboard (and
trying to find the instructions for its dead keys etc.), it's Insert
Symbol or BabelMap all the way.

Old September 29th 08, 12:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not familiar with BabelMap. I have used Character Map but have never
found it very congenial. But I do use Insert | Symbol for all but the most
commonly used symbols (to which I have assigned keyboard shortcuts). In
fact, when working in other apps that don't have a Symbol dialog (such as
Outlook Express) I tend to switch to Word, insert the symbol, then
copy/paste into the other app.

Old September 29th 08, 04:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]

Anyone who works with Private Use Area characters needs BabelMap
(since they seem to be invisible to Insert Symbol); but it's much more
informative and useful than CharacterMap generally. (You'll be
impressed with how many different languages you can enter with just
the fonts that came with Windows and/or Office.)