Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christiana1025 Christiana1025 is offline

Default Despite same settings, lines spacing looks different

I have set the paragraphs in my document to the 'Normal' Word 2007 setting
which is 11 pt Calibri with 1.15 line spacing. I have checked that these
settings are consistent throughout the document. BUT in one section of the
document, the spaces between lines are larger! How can I solve this? How
can Word be measuring line spacing differently throughout the document? I've
tried resetting the spacing and using the format painter, to no avail.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Look for Spacing Before and After, which might be applied to text. Note,
however, that Spacing Before/After would only affect the spacing between
paragraphs, not the inline spacing within paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Christiana1025" wrote in message
I have set the paragraphs in my document to the 'Normal' Word 2007 setting
which is 11 pt Calibri with 1.15 line spacing. I have checked that these
settings are consistent throughout the document. BUT in one section of
the
document, the spaces between lines are larger! How can I solve this? How
can Word be measuring line spacing differently throughout the document?
I've
tried resetting the spacing and using the format painter, to no avail.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Another factor that can affect line spacing is allowing extra space for
raised characters. This can be controlled by the appropriate Compatibility
Option. And of course any characters larger than 11 pt will increase line
spacing for the line they're in.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to "Don't add extra space for raised/lowered characters," "Don't
add leading (extra space) between rows of text" comes to mind. The easiest
way to deal with this is to set "Lay out out this document as if created in"
to "Word 2007" (or "Word 2003" if you need backward compatibility).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Of course, "Don't add leading..." would affect all lines in a document
equally. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Gordon B Gordon B is offline
Junior Member

Christiana,

If you have checked the paragraph settings and tried changing the compatibility options and are still not able to control the spurious line spacing, there is something else you can check. In the same way that superscript or subscript characters can cause an increase in the fundamental height of a line, characters from a different font may also do this.

I work with documents written in English by authors in Asian countries. When Word is installed on a system where the system language is Korean (for example) it tends to produce documents where the Default Font is Malgun Gothic. Malgun Gothic has western/roman letters alongside Korean characters. So, despite the Normal style being set to Times and/or the text being selected and manually formatted as Times, the underlying default font is not Times (it's Malgun Gothic).

The problem comes when the user enters a non-standard symbol (e.g. an em dash). Word may (helpfully) ignore the fact that this symbol exists in the current font (Times) and revert to the default font for this symbol. Therefore, if you have a Malgun Gothic symbol hidden amongst letters in Times, the line will be as tall as the tallest character (in this case the character in Malgun Gothic is taller).

So, the solution to this is to search along the erroneous line with the cursor and look for characters that are formatted in an unexpected font. In addition, it is probably a good idea to change the default font to match the main font in use (probably that specified in the Normal style). This way word will not perform similar font substitution if you enter any further symbols in the text.

The default font can be changed on the "Set Defaults" tab of the "Manage Styles" dialogue (Word 2013). This dialogue can be opened from the button at the bottom of the Styles Pane (ctrl+alt+shift + S).

Hope that helps,
Gordon B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiana1025 View Post