Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Denise Freiburger Denise Freiburger is offline

Default Applying a background colour to styles for selected text only

Hi

I'm using Word 2002.

We need to create a style that saves a background colour but the colour
should only apply to the selected text and not to the whole paragraph.

This can be done manually - which is what we currently do - but I can't find
a way to save it as a style. The only shading options seem to be attached to
paragraph styles which will then colour the whole line.

Does anyone know of a work around for this - or even if I'm missing
something obvious?

Thanks very much
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Define a character style.

"Denise Freiburger" wrote in
message ...
Hi

I'm using Word 2002.

We need to create a style that saves a background colour but the colour
should only apply to the selected text and not to the whole paragraph.

This can be done manually - which is what we currently do - but I can't
find
a way to save it as a style. The only shading options seem to be attached
paragraph styles which will then colour the whole line.

Does anyone know of a work around for this - or even if I'm missing
something obvious?

Thanks very much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Was it introduced after W2002? It's available at least in W2003.

"Denise Freiburger" wrote in
message ...

"Jezebel" wrote:

Define a character style.

"Denise Freiburger" wrote in
message ...
Hi

I'm using Word 2002.

We need to create a style that saves a background colour but the colour
should only apply to the selected text and not to the whole paragraph.

This can be done manually - which is what we currently do - but I can't
find
a way to save it as a style. The only shading options seem to be
attached
paragraph styles which will then colour the whole line.

Does anyone know of a work around for this - or even if I'm missing
something obvious?

Thanks very much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Denise Freiburger Denise Freiburger is offline

I'm not sure about that one. I have 2003 at home but don't use it very much
- I'll check that out though.

"Jezebel" wrote:

Define a character style.

"Denise Freiburger" wrote in
message ...
Hi

I'm using Word 2002.

We need to create a style that saves a background colour but the colour
should only apply to the selected text and not to the whole paragraph.

This can be done manually - which is what we currently do - but I can't
find
a way to save it as a style. The only shading options seem to be
attached
paragraph styles which will then colour the whole line.

Does anyone know of a work around for this - or even if I'm missing
something obvious?

Thanks very much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Well, it's definitely available and working in my W2003.

"Denise Freiburger" wrote in
message ...

"Jezebel" wrote:

Define a character style.

"Denise Freiburger" wrote
in
message ...
Hi

I'm using Word 2002.

We need to create a style that saves a background colour but the
colour
should only apply to the selected text and not to the whole
paragraph.

This can be done manually - which is what we currently do - but I
can't
find
a way to save it as a style. The only shading options seem to be
attached
paragraph styles which will then colour the whole line.

Does anyone know of a work around for this - or even if I'm missing
something obvious?

Thanks very much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TedMi TedMi is offline

Shading attributes were added to Character styles in W2003. In previous
versions, that option is greyed in the style dialog.
--
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Denise Freiburger Denise Freiburger is offline

I assume Microsoft realised it was something that users needed and added it
to 2003.

Oh well, this probably means we're out of luck creating a style with shading
for selected chars using 2002.

Thanks for your help anyway guys - much appreciated.

"TedMi" wrote:

Shading attributes were added to Character styles in W2003. In previous
versions, that option is greyed in the style dialog.
--
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm really surprised to hear this, as we often advise users to create
character styles to apply text shading as a substitute for using the mostly
useless Highlight colors, and I have never yet heard that this option was
available in previous versions.

"Denise Freiburger" wrote in
message ...

"TedMi" wrote:

Shading attributes were added to Character styles in W2003. In previous
versions, that option is greyed in the style dialog.
--
Ted

Problem with applying styles document wide [email protected] Formatting Long Documents 4 August 30th 06 06:21 PM
Arcane Question @ Text Boxes & "Frames" Elmer Page Layout 12 August 14th 06 08:34 AM
Styles Growing Deb Page Layout 12 April 5th 06 10:56 PM
Hidden text won't stick Gary Burton Formatting Long Documents 10 February 17th 06 02:03 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM