Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jessica Jessica is offline

Default Why is a file with more content smaller than a file with less?

I have have two files that have the same template. One has three pages and a
great deal more content, but it is roughly 300KB. The blank template, a
single page, with a header, is over 1,000KB. I have tried looking for
differences in the make up of the templates, but I can not find anything. Is
there anything in the setting that would make one file so much larger??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hard to say without seeing the documents. However, in Tools - Options -
Save, make sure that Allow fast saves is turned OFF in both documents.

Make a false change (i.e., insert a space and delete it), then resave the
problem file. Is it any smaller now?

A few things that can make some files larger:

* Embedding fonts

* Hidden graphics (i.e., does the larger of the two files contain graphics
that aren't displayed due to View settings?)

* Macros (which can be stored in both documents and templates)

Aside from this, I found the wording of the question odd. On the one hand,
you say the two files "have the same template." On the other hand, you talk
about them as if they were based on different templates.

Documents are based on templates, but they don't inherit everything in the
template. Your question is confusing enough that I'm not really sure what
you're comparing.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Jessica" wrote in message
I have have two files that have the same template. One has three pages and
great deal more content, but it is roughly 300KB. The blank template, a
single page, with a header, is over 1,000KB. I have tried looking for
differences in the make up of the templates, but I can not find anything.
Is
there anything in the setting that would make one file so much larger??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jessica Jessica is offline

I am comparing a blank template file with a file created using that
template. The blank template file is larger than the proposal even though the
proposal (in which the template was used) has more pages and more graphic and
more over all content.

Thank you for your help!

"Jessica" wrote in message
I have have two files that have the same template. One has three pages and
great deal more content, but it is roughly 300KB. The blank template, a
single page, with a header, is over 1,000KB. I have tried looking for
differences in the make up of the templates, but I can not find anything.
Is
there anything in the setting that would make one file so much larger??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The "blank" template might contain macros. It also might contain a variety
of other resources, such as AutoText entries. Still another possibility is
that it was last saved with Fast Saves enabled, and might contain leftover
text (depending on how it was created).

You might make a copy of the template, then open the copy using the Recover
text from any file (Files of Type) option to see what exactly it *does*
contain in the way of text.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com