kellyb

Default Microsoft Word 97 installed on new computer

I have a couple of minor irritating problems I hope someone can help me with.
I bought a 'new' computer with MS Office 2003 installed on it, but I wanted
to use the Word 97 from my old computer, so I installed it, no problem.

3 problems now:

1) When I click start/documents/[document title], it wants to access the new
Office 2003 instead of my old Word 97. So how do I change the default to
access Word 97 documents?

2) When I open Word 97, choose file/open, it brings up the box, but instead
of showing "my documents", it shows "Office". How do I change this to show
my documents like it used to?

3) When I open an attachment that is a word document, it wants to access
Office 2003 instead of my Word 97 - how do I change this default to access
Word 97?

Hope someone can help - thanks in advance!

kellyb
Graham Mayor

I am not sure why you wanted to install 97 on a new machine that has 2003,
which does everything that 97 did, and more and does it more reliably, other
than the possibility that you are supporting 97 users.

As for your three questions, there will always be some measure of conflict
if you install both under the same operating system, so

1 - May not be possible as Office 2003 will always want to steal focus.

2 - Tools options file locations documents - set the folder you want
to access by default.

3 - It is not good practice to open attachments from e-mail messages. Save
the attachments and open from Word.

kellyb wrote:
I have a couple of minor irritating problems I hope someone can help
me with. I bought a 'new' computer with MS Office 2003 installed on
it, but I wanted to use the Word 97 from my old computer, so I
installed it, no problem.

3 problems now:

1) When I click start/documents/[document title], it wants to access
the new Office 2003 instead of my old Word 97. So how do I change
the default to access Word 97 documents?

2) When I open Word 97, choose file/open, it brings up the box, but
instead of showing "my documents", it shows "Office". How do I
change this to show my documents like it used to?

3) When I open an attachment that is a word document, it wants to
access Office 2003 instead of my Word 97 - how do I change this
default to access Word 97?

Hope someone can help - thanks in advance!

kellyb

Monica

"kellyb" wrote:

I have a couple of minor irritating problems I hope someone can help me with.
I bought a 'new' computer with MS Office 2003 installed on it, but I wanted
to use the Word 97 from my old computer, so I installed it, no problem.

3 problems now:

Hi Kellyb!

I did exactly the same and found the only way out is to uninstall Word 2003.
I used the AddRemove function in Control Panel and would not have risked it
without having the installation disk in my possession so that I could
re-install if I wanted. Also, I had other Office components, such as Excel,
installed separately, outside the Office suite.

If you have Windows XP as your operating system you could use System Restore
instead of re-installing, I think, but check on this.

Word 97 was a peak. I was really struggling with Word 2003 which seems to
be designed for those who don't really want to generate or edit a document in
the first place! Far too many bells and whistles.

When you have two versions of Word installed, the one most recently used
will usually try to grab documents. A simple workaround is to open Word
before trying to open a document, but if you want Word 97 to have supremacy
(at least temporarily), you can try reregistering it (that is, allowing it
to reclaim Word's file associations in the Windows Registry); see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm.

To change the default document folder for Word 97, change the path on the
File Locations tab of Tools | Options.