Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RobertoDole RobertoDole is offline

Default Latin has limited support, how can I fix this?

I'm trying to type in Latin on my computer, but Word tells me that Latin has
"Limited Support," and the spelling/grammar checks do not work when I type in
Latin. Is there any way to fix this? I have Word 2007 and Windows XP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Roberto,

Limited support indicates that the Windows support for a particular language/keyboard hasn't been enabled.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...245231033.aspx

There aren't any proofing tools for Latin available (other than using Serbian Latin, or one of the Latin/Romance languages) although
Word 2007 does use pseudoLatin for creating sample text

On a blank line type
=lorem()
and then enter for an example.

You may want to look into 3rd party products as well.
http://www.alphadictionary.com/direc...Romance/Latin/
or search online for Latin Spell check
============
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

=lorem() produces a different chunk of lorem ipsum from any I've seen, not
to mention a much smaller chunk than my "lorem" AutoText entry, so I think
I'll stick with the latter.

Apparently you can introduce an argument for the number of paragraphs but
not (as with =rand()) for the number of sentences in each paragraph. That's
actually an improvement because quick brown foxes are so repetitive that
they don't make good sample text.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

On a blank line type
=lorem()
and then enter for an example

That's neat

Apparently you can introduce an argument for the number of paragraphs but
not (as with =rand()) for the number of sentences in each paragraph.
That's actually an improvement because quick brown foxes are so repetitive
that they don't make good sample text.

For me it works just like rand() - which is what I would have expected. Note
also that rand() in 2007 is much improved and no longer uses foxes, quick or
brown or any other sort.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I knew about the improvement in =rand() but haven't used it. And yes, you're
right about the arguments; I was using (5,2), and it was less obvious that
each of the five paragraphs had two sentences because there is such a
pronounced difference in sentence length (a good thing, of course).

wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] is offline

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer. I just wanted to point out that the word "Latin" in
"Serbian Latin" refers to the script used to write in Serbian. Serbian is the
language and can be written with the Latin script or with the Cyrillic script
(hence the distinction between Serbian Latin and Serbian Cyrillic). You have
the same distinction for languages such as Azeri, Bosnian, Uzbek, etc, which
can also use the Latin or Cyrillic alphabets, so this is not about the Latin
language.

I hope it helps, ;-)

Thierry

Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Roberto,

There aren't any proofing tools for Latin available (other than using Serbian Latin, or one of the Latin/Romance languages) although
Word 2007 does use pseudoLatin for creating sample text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Don't say that in Serbia ... if you write it with roman script, it's
Croatian.

On Mar 18, 4:23*pm, Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]
wrote:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer. I just wanted to point out that the word "Latin" in
"Serbian Latin" refers to the script used to write in Serbian. Serbian is the
language and can be written with the Latin script or with the Cyrillic script
(hence the distinction between Serbian Latin and Serbian Cyrillic). You have
the same distinction for languages such as Azeri, Bosnian, Uzbek, etc, which
can also use the Latin or Cyrillic alphabets, so this is not about the Latin
language.

I hope it helps, ;-)

Thierry

Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]

"Bob * Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Roberto,

There aren't any proofing tools for Latin available (other than using Serbian Latin, or one of the Latin/Romance languages) although
Word 2007 does use pseudoLatin for creating sample text- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] is offline

Hi Grammatim,

A distinction is made between Serbian Latin, Serbian Cyrillic and Croatian:
these are distinct languages which have different LCIDs and identifiers
(locales). They also have different ISO codes.

See from http://blogs.msdn.com/kierans/archiv...27/774637.aspx

041a hr-HR Croatian Croatia
101a hr-BA Croatian (Latin) Bosnia and Herzegovina
0c1a sr-Cyrl-CS Serbian (Cyrillic) Serbia
1c1a sr-Cyrl-BA Serbian (Cyrillic) Bosnia and Herzegovina
081a sr-Latn-CS Serbian (Latin) Serbia
181a sr-Latn-BA Serbian (Latin) Bosnia and Herzegovina

See also the different pages about the Serbian and Croatian languages on
Wikipedia, for instance. Or this article in Encarta:
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...Languages.html

I hope it helps,

Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]

wrote:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer. I just wanted to point out that the word "Latin" in
"Serbian Latin" refers to the script used to write in Serbian. Serbian is the
language and can be written with the Latin script or with the Cyrillic script
(hence the distinction between Serbian Latin and Serbian Cyrillic). You have
the same distinction for languages such as Azeri, Bosnian, Uzbek, etc, which
can also use the Latin or Cyrillic alphabets, so this is not about the Latin
language.

I hope it helps, ;-)

Thierry

Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]