gman

Default TASK PANE (or whatever it is), or is it TASK PAIN in the you know

When one clicks on NEW under FILE, a window opens that has on its right side
that area that has New Document on the top and New (blank document, xml
document, etc.) and Template beneath. Is there any way to permanently
prevent that area from appearing when I select NEW under FILE? Just curious
because if Microsoft had to give us the options presented to us in that area
then why did they not just stick to the KISS principle and have all these
options in a pop-type menu next to NEW under FILE? Why all this extra,
superfluous junk on the screen that requires moving the mouse over there to
select something that I could have selected right under FILE when my cursor
was there? I realize I can click the blank document icon that rests right
beneath FILE in the tool bar and get a document without that, but I guess I
am just curious about Microsoft's rational.

Jezebel

The reason for the superfluous junk is that it provides MS with the
opportunity to sell additional stuff to you, like paid content, commerically
produced templates, etc. (Lots more to come in this regard.) So shut up and
accept what you're given! Do you think MS has time to consider the wants of
insignificant little customers like you?

"gman" wrote in message
[...]

gman

Hello, Suzanne,

Thanks for your response. I figured out what you wanted me to do. I
selected NEW BLANK DOCUMENT and it appeared under FILE, achieving what I
sought.

Okay, soooooo, here's your next assignment, should you decide to accept it!
LOL

When I select OPEN under FILE I have it set up such that D:/ shows up in the
Explorer-type window that appears. However, when I select SAVE AS for a
document I don't want D:/ to appear in the Explorer window that opens, but
rather I want to have DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS show up as the place to save
the document. Unfortunately, it appears that the two actions cannot be
separated. Whatever point is selected on the disk (i.e., Windows Explorer)
to appear in the Explorer window when OPEN is clicked winds up being the same
place that shows up in the Explorer window when SAVE AS is selected. I
cannot find any way to separate these two actions. I ask this because I
often don't pay attention to where I am saving something because many
programs allow you to set it up to save a file where you wish. Once it is
set up as such, if one for the most part always saves something to the same
place then one often never thinks about it again.

gman

"gman" wrote in message
[...]

The default New button on the Standard toolbar (or Ctrl+N) will open a new
blank document. I thought you wanted access to the File New dialog.

Your follow-up question has been asked and answered elsewhere.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you want to open the File New dialog with File | New... then

substitute
the FileNewDialog command (Tools | Customize | All Commands).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.