Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChineseYeti ChineseYeti is offline

Default missing MS Word icon

The MS Word and Excel icons are both mysteriously missing from the Start
Menu, both under the shortcuts and under the Microsoft Office folder in "All
Programs." They both function fine if you open an existing document, but I
can't start a new document without going through an existing one. Any ideas
what happened to them and how I get them back.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No idea what become of them, but they're easily recreated. Use Windows
Search to find winword.exe and excel.exe. In the Search Results window,
right-click and choose Create Shortcut. You'll get a message saying you
can't create a shortcut there and asking if you want it on the desktop. Say
yes. Then drag the shortcut from the desktop to the Start menu.

"ChineseYeti" wrote in message
The MS Word and Excel icons are both mysteriously missing from the Start
Menu, both under the shortcuts and under the Microsoft Office folder in

"All
Programs." They both function fine if you open an existing document, but

can't start a new document without going through an existing one. Any

ideas
what happened to them and how I get them back.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChineseYeti ChineseYeti is offline

Thanks. They still aren't under the Microsoft Office folder, but putting
them on the Start menu worked fine.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No idea what become of them, but they're easily recreated. Use Windows
Search to find winword.exe and excel.exe. In the Search Results window,
right-click and choose Create Shortcut. You'll get a message saying you
can't create a shortcut there and asking if you want it on the desktop. Say
yes. Then drag the shortcut from the desktop to the Start menu.

"ChineseYeti" wrote in message
The MS Word and Excel icons are both mysteriously missing from the Start
Menu, both under the shortcuts and under the Microsoft Office folder in

"All
Programs." They both function fine if you open an existing document, but

can't start a new document without going through an existing one. Any

ideas
what happened to them and how I get them back.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can add them to the All Programs part of the Start menu as well.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No idea what become of them, but they're easily recreated. Use Windows
Search to find winword.exe and excel.exe. In the Search Results window,
right-click and choose Create Shortcut. You'll get a message saying you
can't create a shortcut there and asking if you want it on the desktop.

Say
yes. Then drag the shortcut from the desktop to the Start menu.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"ChineseYeti" wrote in message
The MS Word and Excel icons are both mysteriously missing from the

Start
Menu, both under the shortcuts and under the Microsoft Office folder

in
"All
Programs." They both function fine if you open an existing document,

but
can't start a new document without going through an existing one. Any

ideas
what happened to them and how I get them back.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dans dans is offline

I have the same problem as the originator and I tried the listed solution but
a search of the C drive does not find winword.exe either. Any idea how I can
find that file
dans

"ChineseYeti" wrote:

The MS Word and Excel icons are both mysteriously missing from the Start
Menu, both under the shortcuts and under the Microsoft Office folder in "All
Programs." They both function fine if you open an existing document, but I
can't start a new document without going through an existing one. Any ideas
what happened to them and how I get them back.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Enter %programfiles%\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 (where 11 is the Office
version - here Office 2003)
in the address bar of your Windows Explorer or browser and if winword.exe is
not in that folder, you will have to re-install it from the original
installation disc.