ndolinger

Default File Search

In Office 2000, Word contained a File Search (or Find File) function that
allowed one to preview the found documents before opening them. In Office
2003, the File Search function in Word does not seem to include this
function. Can anyone tell me how to activate a preview pane in File Search
or suggest a workaround?

ndolinger

Yes, CyberTaz, that is the function I am talking about. The problem is that
the version in Office 2003 does not allow me to preview documents as I could
using the version in Office 2000. I am looking for a way to activate a
preview pane OR an equivalent workaround.

"ndolinger" wrote:

In Office 2000, Word contained a File Search (or Find File) function that
allowed one to preview the found documents before opening them. In Office
2003, the File Search function in Word does not seem to include this
function. Can anyone tell me how to activate a preview pane in File Search
or suggest a workaround?

CyberTaz

Sorry, I guess I omitted the most important point...

Immediately left of the Tools button is the Views button. Click it and
choose from about 7 different ways to display the content in the dialog box
(8 if an HTML file is selected), including Preview.

HTH |:)

"ndolinger" wrote:

In Office 2000, Word contained a File Search (or Find File) function that
allowed one to preview the found documents before opening them. In Office
2003, the File Search function in Word does not seem to include this
function. Can anyone tell me how to activate a preview pane in File Search
or suggest a workaround?

ndolinger

In my version of Word 2003, there is a Views button in the Open window, but
not in File Search. In Word 2000, File Find did have a View button, and it
was VERY useful. That is what I want back.

If Open and File Search worked together so that only the found files show in
the Open window, that would work too, but Open and File Search do not seem to
work together that way. Now I can only seem to select one of the found files
at a time, hope and pray that it is the right one. If not, I have to wait
through another tortuous File Search session, since File Search closes after
you select a file and does not save its previous results.