JoAnn

Default Getting Invalid Macro Enable/Disable Message

I am getting the Enable/Disable macros message when I open a document that
does not have macros.

I tried saving the file to RTF, closing it, reopening it & saving to Word (a
tip from the user groups that has worked in the past) but it didn't work on
this document.

Any other things I can try? Does this mean the document is corrupt?

Thanks,

--
JoAnn
Herb Tyson [MVP]

What version of Word is this?

In later versions of Word that support macros in document (as opposed to
template) files, even after you delete a macro, Word still "remembers" that
it contained macros, and continues to warn (depending on setup). Using Word
2003, when you save in rtf format, Word warns that macros (even if they've
been deleted) will be lost. And, indeed, after closing/reopening the rtf
file, the macros are gone.

You might try saving in Word 6.0/95 format, since .doc files in that version
did not support macros, and see if that purges them.

Otherwise, another option open to you is to copy the document to the
clipboard, paste it into a new Document window, and save that. (If you have
special headers/footers/etc., you'd need to copy those, as well.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"JoAnn" wrote in message
I am getting the Enable/Disable macros message when I open a document that
does not have macros.

I tried saving the file to RTF, closing it, reopening it & saving to Word
(a
tip from the user groups that has worked in the past) but it didn't work
on
this document.

Any other things I can try? Does this mean the document is corrupt?

Thanks,

--
JoAnn

JoAnn

I'm using Word 2003. Thanks for your suggestions -- unfortunately, neither
of them worked with this document. I'm still getting the message (even when
I don't include the last paragraph mark in the copy/paste).

JoAnn

"JoAnn" wrote in message
I am getting the Enable/Disable macros message when I open a document that
does not have macros.

I tried saving the file to RTF, closing it, reopening it & saving to Word
(a
tip from the user groups that has worked in the past) but it didn't work
on
this document.

Any other things I can try? Does this mean the document is corrupt?

Thanks,

--
JoAnn

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Now, this is odd... unless the Enable/Disable message isn't about the
document at all, but rather about a macro that's contained either in
Normal.dot or in some other global template. Both of the methods I gave you
were able to strip a phantom macro from a document using Word 2003.

When you choose File - Save As, does it show the document type as Word
Document, or as Word Template?

If the file doesn't contain any proprietary information you don't want to
share, is it possible that you could email it to me so I can take a look? If
so, please send to problem(at)thetysons.org, replacing (at) with the @ sign,
of course.

(You can also check Tools - Macro - Macros and see if you have one named
AutoOpen or AutoExec.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"JoAnn" wrote in message
I am getting the Enable/Disable macros message when I open a document
that
does not have macros.

I tried saving the file to RTF, closing it, reopening it & saving to
Word
(a
tip from the user groups that has worked in the past) but it didn't
work
on
this document.

Any other things I can try? Does this mean the document is corrupt?

Thanks,

--
JoAnn

JoAnn

Hi, Herb -
During File Save As, it appears as a doc not a template. There are no
macros appearing in the doc or Normal.dot via Organizer or VBA (I'm assuming
I would see an AutoOpen or AutoExec macro listed in there if it existed). I
do not have the doc attached to a template (other than normal).

I pulled sections of the document into separate docs to see if I could
isolate the section generating the message. The message only appears in the
section containing a form (in table format) that seems to have "Control"
fields in it (see info below).

After pressing Alt-F9, the 1st field (a checkbox contained in a table cell),
displays:
{CONTROL [] Complete \s} -- where [] is a box, not the brackets

The last checkbox field in that table column displays:
{CONTROL [] Complete x.1 \s}

The "[] Complete" is all that appears in the table cell when codes are not
displayed. When you click on the box, it toggles a checkmark to
appear/disappear.

The form was not created by me so I'm not familiar with how this was made.
Not sure if this is an Active X control or something else.

I'm guessing this solves our mystery but I'm not exactly sure how since I'm
not sure what I have here. Let me know if you still want me to send you the
file.

Thanks for your help!

--
JoAnn

"JoAnn" wrote in message
I am getting the Enable/Disable macros message when I open a document
that
does not have macros.

I tried saving the file to RTF, closing it, reopening it & saving to
Word
(a
tip from the user groups that has worked in the past) but it didn't
work
on
this document.

Any other things I can try? Does this mean the document is corrupt?

Thanks,

--
JoAnn

Herb Tyson [MVP]

It sounds like you've figured it out... assuming that the document was
created by someone else, who inserted form control elements into it. If you
created the document, then I suppose it's possible that you inserted them
inadvertently.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"JoAnn" wrote in message
I am getting the Enable/Disable macros message when I open a document
that
does not have macros.

I tried saving the file to RTF, closing it, reopening it & saving to
Word
(a
tip from the user groups that has worked in the past) but it didn't
work
on
this document.

Any other things I can try? Does this mean the document is corrupt?

Thanks,

--
JoAnn

JoAnn

The form was not created or added to the document by me. At least I now know
this type of the form control element will validly generate the message, so I
don't have to worry about corruption in the document.

Thanks so much for all your help!
--
JoAnn