Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lorrie Lorrie is offline

Default what is a Word 2003 - Table & Contents "Subentry"?

hi

I am trying to create a basic table of contents, i have seen where it says
"Subentry" underneath the word "Main entry" i have looked all of the place
but it doesn't really explain in plain english.

Sorry if i have double posted but i missed out something, i just wanted to
know what "subentry" means & how to use it?

Help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Sub-entry refers to index entries, not tables of contents, eg

Bush, GW === Main entry
Corruption, 12-1400 == Sub-entry
Stupidity of, 1401-2500 == Sub-entry

"lorrie" wrote in message
hi

I am trying to create a basic table of contents, i have seen where it
says
"Subentry" underneath the word "Main entry" i have looked all of the place
but it doesn't really explain in plain english.

Sorry if i have double posted but i missed out something, i just wanted to
know what "subentry" means & how to use it?

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lorrie Lorrie is offline

hi sorry i didn't quite understand, as i understand it you have to MARK
entries for to to go into the table of contents i am a new user of word, does
subentry insert anything into the table of contents?

i am also having difficulty with it displaying all that i have "Main entry"
marked - it only seams to show the first one

help

"lorrie" wrote in message
hi

I am trying to create a basic table of contents, i have seen where it
says
"Subentry" underneath the word "Main entry" i have looked all of the place
but it doesn't really explain in plain english.

Sorry if i have double posted but i missed out something, i just wanted to
know what "subentry" means & how to use it?

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

While you _can_ create a table of contents by marking the entries, the usual
and easier method is to use the standard heading styles (heading 1, heading
2, etc). Then the TOC can be created automatically from your headings and
you don't need to do anything else. The levels of the table of contents are
determined by the levels of the headings you use.

In index is the alphabetical list of words and terms (entries and
sub-entries) at the back of the book. For that, you do need to mark the
entries.

"lorrie" wrote in message
hi

I am trying to create a basic table of contents, i have seen where it
says
"Subentry" underneath the word "Main entry" i have looked all of the
place
but it doesn't really explain in plain english.

Sorry if i have double posted but i missed out something, i just wanted
know what "subentry" means & how to use it?

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bennie bennie is offline

Hey Lorrie,
This is Bennie over at "Subentry-Word 2003." I noticed that you asked the
same question that I did about "Subentries." Getting a straight answer to
such a simple question is like pulling teeth!
If you check over here, you might find the information that you sought way
back when.
Bennie

"lorrie" wrote:

hi

I am trying to create a basic table of contents, i have seen where it says
"Subentry" underneath the word "Main entry" i have looked all of the place
but it doesn't really explain in plain english.

Sorry if i have double posted but i missed out something, i just wanted to
know what "subentry" means & how to use it?

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm not sure where this conversation originated, but just for clarification:

"Main Entry" & "Subentry" are aspects of an *Index*, and have nothing to do
with a Table of Contents. A TOC can have multiple *levels* (based on Heading
Styles for example), but that is a totally different matter with different
terminology.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/2/07 1:52 PM, in article
, "Bennie"

"lorrie" wrote:

hi

I am trying to create a basic table of contents, i have seen where it says
"Subentry" underneath the word "Main entry" i have looked all of the place
but it doesn't really explain in plain english.

Sorry if i have double posted but i missed out something, i just wanted to
know what "subentry" means & how to use it?

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bennie bennie is offline

Dear Cy,
The party's over at "Subentry-Word 2003." Join us! You'll see for yourself
the chronological path that my first posting's inquiry has taken.
Thank you for writing,
Bennie

"lorrie" wrote:

hi

I am trying to create a basic table of contents, i have seen where it says
"Subentry" underneath the word "Main entry" i have looked all of the place
but it doesn't really explain in plain english.

Sorry if i have double posted but i missed out something, i just wanted to
know what "subentry" means & how to use it?

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bennie bennie is offline

Hey Taz,
I just noticed that that Lorrie person was talking about TOC's, and not
My bad,
Bennie
P.S. I'm still looking for an actual written instruction that shows exactly
where in a document that you're supposed to put an XE subentry field code. I
know now thru experimenting on my own, but there has to be an actual document
describing the process somewhere. I'm noticing that a lot of this computer
information written about in various articles is simply assumed by the
author, or passed along by word of mouth--and thus certain steps get glossed
over by all of them in their writings--because none of them really know of
the step's origins, and they don't want to be seen as not knowing. Who does!

"lorrie" wrote:

hi

I am trying to create a basic table of contents, i have seen where it says
"Subentry" underneath the word "Main entry" i have looked all of the place
but it doesn't really explain in plain english.

Sorry if i have double posted but i missed out something, i just wanted to
know what "subentry" means & how to use it?

Help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Where you put the XE field should be as close as possible to the topic
you're referencing. For example, if you refer to George Washington on page
3, you could put { XE: "Washington: George" } anywhere on page 3, but if the
XE field was in text that moved to page 4, then the page reference for your
mention of George Washington would be incorrect. You therefore want to put
the XE field right next to George Washington's name.

I still get a strong feeling that you don't understand how indexes work or
what they're supposed to do. I suggest that, while it is admirable to try to
learn Word's features before you actually need them, your practice will be
much more practical if you are working on a document in which you really
need an index.