Hunza321

Default Attachment difficulties!

I am following the instructions from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm
I am using Windows 98 and Word 2000.
I have Outlook installed but use Outlook Express for email.
I check the item Microsoft Outlook 9.0 Object Library under Word
Tools|Macro|VB Editor|Tools|References.
I can create a separate Catalogue identifying the required attachment (a PDF).
I can execute the mail merge, to a new document.
With the new document open I can run the macro as instructed, but experience
the following:
1) The correct number of personalised emails is created but none have an
attachment.
2) At some point during my experiments the personalised emails stopped being
created in Outlook Express and are now created in Outlook.
3) The macro appears not to be saved and has to be re-created for each mail
merge.
4) The Microsoft Outlook 9.0 Object Library un-checks itself after each mail
merge.

Please help me to solve these problems?
Doug Robbins

The fact that the files were not attached points to there being a difference
between the actual path\filename and the path\filename that appears in the
catalog mailmerge document. Just one extra space will cause it not to work.

The macro should be created in either the normal.dot template (not
necessarily recommended), or in another template that you place in the Word
startup folder. Any template in that location becomes an Add-in to Word and
the code in it can be used in all documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Hunza321" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hunza321

Thanks for your guidance Doug.

I did type an incorrect path\filename and placing the macro as .DOT in the
WORD\startup file makes it always available through Word|Tools|Macro|Macros.

However, the Microsoft Outlook 9.0 Object Library still un-checks itself
after each mail merge and the personalised emails are created in Outlook,
whereas I want them created in Outlook Express.

The un-checking is a nuisance but if I cant create these emails in Outlook
Express, then all this learning will be of no value.

Any solutions please?

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

The fact that the files were not attached points to there being a difference
between the actual path\filename and the path\filename that appears in the
catalog mailmerge document. Just one extra space will cause it not to work.

The macro should be created in either the normal.dot template (not
necessarily recommended), or in another template that you place in the Word
startup folder. Any template in that location becomes an Add-in to Word and
the code in it can be used in all documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Hunza321" wrote in message
news
[...]

Doug Robbins

It is the Microsoft Outlook Object Library that is being used, therefore it
is Outlook, not Outlook Express that will send the emails. There is no
Outlook Express Object Library that can be used.

I have the macro as an add-in and the Outlook Object Library remains checked
at all times.

--

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

The fact that the files were not attached points to there being a
difference
between the actual path\filename and the path\filename that appears in
the
catalog mailmerge document. Just one extra space will cause it not to
work.

The macro should be created in either the normal.dot template (not
necessarily recommended), or in another template that you place in the
Word
startup folder. Any template in that location becomes an Add-in to Word
and
the code in it can be used in all documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP