Ray_FW

Default stop automatic style changes

Whilst working with microsoft word on a network, I am continually frustrated
at changes being made to the normal style. I work with many new users who
have not been introduced to styles. Repeatedly when they apply a change to
text formatting (using Word XP) it applies those changes to all of their
document as it automatically applies a change to the normal style. The
operator must then click undo automatically update style, which returns the
normal style to the remainder of the document applying the changes only to
the selected text. When this occurs in a very long document, this change can
take a very long time.
To try to prevent this using the Tools AutoCorrect Options ... and
selecting Autoformat as you type and making sure that the "define styles
based upon your formatting" is unchecked; these changes still occur. How can
I stop these changes happening.

Style-tamer

The problem dealt with below is (I think) more esoteric than mine but they
are related, so maybe someone can help.

I am using Word 2003 with Xp and I find that every time I introduce some new
feature (say, the bolding or italicising of a particular word for emphasis on
a one-off basis, i.e. pure character formatting) to a paragraph that is in a
defined style a new style springs up bearing the name of the previously
existing style together with a reference to the new feature.

I tracked down the Help article 'Turn on or off automatic style definition'
and, as instructed, drilled down through Tools/Autocorrect Options/Autoformat
As You Type and found that, as should be the case, Define styles bases on
your formatting was NOT checked. (It would have been gratifying to find that
it was checked.). I then checked it, clicked OK, went in again, unchecked it
and clicked OK, but the problem is still there. It may not be relevant, but
I notice that, if there is only one instance of the 'rogue' style, reversing
the action that created it (e.g. unbolding the bolded bit) will kill off the
new style. But, of course, that's no solution.

"Ray_FW" wrote in message
[...]

Shauna Kelly

Hi Style-tamer

There are several unrelated things going on here at once.

1. Tools Autocorrect Options Autoformat as you type Define styles
based on your formatting does not, oddly enough, define styles based on your
formattingg. If that box is ticked, and you format a paragraph with only a
few words in large, bold type, Word will make an assumption that such a
thing is a heading and will try to guess what kind of heading it might be,
and apply a style based on its guesses and assumptions. It's never a good
idea to let Word guess or assume anything much, so I would strongly advise
you to turn that off.

2. Tools Options Edit Keep track of formatting is the check box that
determines whether Word keeps a list in its head of all the different
combinations of formatting you have used.

But things like "Body Text + Orange" or "Normal + Bold" are not styles. They
are descriptions of style + direct formatting you have used, just as you
explained. If you don't want to see them in the Styles and Formatting pane,
un-tick the Keep track of formatting box.

For more information, see the following, especially Figure 4:
How the Styles and Formatting pane works in Word 2002 and 2003
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/sfpa...ttingPane.html

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote: