Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed

Default What field for Page No THIS section in Text Box?

I am using Word XP (2002). I used Section Break - Continuous to create a
separate section inline with the rest of my document. I have the document
page numbers in the footer. What I need to do is place a Text Box above the
document page number that will give the page number of that section page -
not as "Page X of Y", just "Page X". None of the fields appear to do this
for me. Which one is right? Are there certain options to choose?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

The field { Page } gives the page number. Putting fields in text boxes is
not usually a good idea. Why are you doing this? What are you trying to
accomplish?

You can get variations on page numbering by using calculation fields. Take a
look at http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm. For even
more, see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Page_Numbering.htm. You might need to
include the { SectionPages } field in the calculation at some point. It
gives the number of pages in the current section (rather than in the
document).

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Ed" wrote in message
I am using Word XP (2002). I used Section Break - Continuous to create a
separate section inline with the rest of my document. I have the document
page numbers in the footer. What I need to do is place a Text Box above
the document page number that will give the page number of that section
page - not as "Page X of Y", just "Page X". None of the fields appear to
do this for me. Which one is right? Are there certain options to choose?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed

In my report, I have had to include other reports. To insert these without
losing their formatting, I created a separate section using Section Break -
Continuous. To show that these are inserted documents separate from my
report, I have drawn a box around each inserted page. The page number of my
report document shows in the footer. I need to show the page number of the
inserted page inside the box outlining the page. TO so this, I have used a
Text Box.

Thanks for the links. I'll check those out. Or if my explanation needs a
better way to do this, any help is appreciated.
Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
I am using Word XP (2002). I used Section Break - Continuous to create a
separate section inline with the rest of my document. I have the document
page numbers in the footer. What I need to do is place a Text Box above
the document page number that will give the page number of that section
page - not as "Page X of Y", just "Page X". None of the fields appear to
do this for me. Which one is right? Are there certain options to choose?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Look at Greg Maxey's article for your page numbering. It will give you a
good start.

I think you may have to have a section break - new page for this to
function, though.

As far as the text box goes, I would use a Frame instead, anchored to the
body text rather than in the header/footer. You can insert Frames in your
document just like text boxes using the button on the Forms toolbar.

Frames are an older construction in Word but have the advantage of being in
the document layer rather than the drawing layer. This means you can select
all of your text (Ctrl-A) and press F9 to update your fields in a Frame.
Note, these fields will not update automatically, unlike the ones in the
footer.
--

"Ed" wrote in message
I am using Word XP (2002). I used Section Break - Continuous to create a
separate section inline with the rest of my document. I have the
document page numbers in the footer. What I need to do is place a Text
Box above the document page number that will give the page number of that
section page - not as "Page X of Y", just "Page X". None of the fields
appear to do this for me. Which one is right? Are there certain options
to choose?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed

I wound up using {= {PAGE} - XX }, where XX is the difference between the
document page I'm on and 1. Then I copied that text box onto each
successive page. Thank you for the Frame info - I didn't realize the
differences, especially the layers.