Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rob Scott Rob Scott is offline

Default MS word settings please for 'carless / NOVEL MANUSCRIPT FORMAT'

I am trying to set up a template in MS word to write a manuscript / novel , I
have been told i have to follow the industry standard format found at
www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/novel.pdf i would apprecate any help
or advice, better still a presetup template would be nice. I have read the
set up in the website note but not being a typist / processor its all gobldy
gook to me...

I am using MS Office Word 2003 (sp2)

Thank you all for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Ignore that nonsense. Those were the requirements when manuscripts needed
copy-fitting and manual typesetting, which hasn't been the case for several
decades now.

Just write your book: it's the content that matters.

"Rob Scott" Rob Scott @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I am trying to set up a template in MS word to write a manuscript / novel ,
have been told i have to follow the industry standard format found at
www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/novel.pdf i would apprecate any
help
or advice, better still a presetup template would be nice. I have read the
set up in the website note but not being a typist / processor its all
gobldy
gook to me...

I am using MS Office Word 2003 (sp2)

Thank you all for any help

Milton T. Burton Milton T. Burton is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post
Ignore that nonsense. Those were the requirements when manuscripts needed
copy-fitting and manual typesetting, which hasn't been the case for several
decades now.

Just write your book: it's the content that matters.

"Rob Scott" Rob Scott @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I am trying to set up a template in MS word to write a manuscript / novel ,
have been told i have to follow the industry standard format found at
www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/novel.pdf i would apprecate any
help
or advice, better still a presetup template would be nice. I have read the
set up in the website note but not being a typist / processor its all
gobldy
gook to me...

I am using MS Office Word 2003 (sp2)

Thank you all for any help
With all due respect, that is the worst advice I have ever seen, Jezebel. I have published three crime novels with St. Martin's, NY, and YES, formatting does matter, and it matters a lot. The Matthew Carless form referenced above is exactly how it should be done. For the American market, at least. Deviate too far from it and your MS will be trashed.