Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mooring mooring is offline

Default ---------- How can I format a line like this? ----------

I am trying to setup a heading or other formatting code so that I can break
my document into parts separated by a heading like this:

----------- Chapter 1 -----------

Where the two lines are a % of page width; move with changes in the text
("Chapter 1"); and are centered vertically with the text in the middle. I
have seen this in documents, but I can't figure out how to do it in word.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Several ways but an easy one is to insert a centre aligned tab at the centre
of the page. Press tab and type away.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"mooring" wrote in message
I am trying to setup a heading or other formatting code so that I can
break
my document into parts separated by a heading like this:

----------- Chapter 1 -----------

Where the two lines are a % of page width; move with changes in the text
("Chapter 1"); and are centered vertically with the text in the middle. I
have seen this in documents, but I can't figure out how to do it in word.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mooring mooring is offline

Sorry, I didn't format my question well. Where the "dashes" are shown in the
subject line, I would like to have a solid line the is vertically positioned
at the midpoint of the font.

"mooring" wrote in message
I am trying to setup a heading or other formatting code so that I can
break
my document into parts separated by a heading like this:

----------- Chapter 1 -----------

Where the two lines are a % of page width; move with changes in the text
("Chapter 1"); and are centered vertically with the text in the middle. I
have seen this in documents, but I can't figure out how to do it in word.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Set a center-aligned tab at the center of the page and a right-aligned tab
at the right margin. Tab once, type the chapter number, then tab again and
press Enter. Select each tab character and format it as underlined and
raised by whatever amount is required to get the line where you want it
(probably a little less than half the nominal font point size, e.g., 5
points for 12-point type). You can accomplish much the same thing by setting
an underline leader to the tab stop, but the alignment (and the weight of
the line) will be slightly different.

http://word.mvps.org

"mooring" wrote in message
I am trying to setup a heading or other formatting code so that I can break
my document into parts separated by a heading like this:

----------- Chapter 1 -----------

Where the two lines are a % of page width; move with changes in the text
("Chapter 1"); and are centered vertically with the text in the middle. I
have seen this in documents, but I can't figure out how to do it in word.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mooring mooring is offline

Thank you; that will work.

Additionally, if you don't want the lines to go to the margins, you can
simply change the margins for that line.

"mooring" wrote in message
I am trying to setup a heading or other formatting code so that I can break
my document into parts separated by a heading like this:

----------- Chapter 1 -----------

Where the two lines are a % of page width; move with changes in the text
("Chapter 1"); and are centered vertically with the text in the middle. I
have seen this in documents, but I can't figure out how to do it in word.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Use Format, Paragraph and set an indent from the left and right to adjust
the width of the line. Save it as a style or a formatted AutoText for
insertion anytime you need it.

Terry

"mooring" wrote in message
I am trying to setup a heading or other formatting code so that I can
break
my document into parts separated by a heading like this:

----------- Chapter 1 -----------

Where the two lines are a % of page width; move with changes in the
text
("Chapter 1"); and are centered vertically with the text in the middle.
have seen this in documents, but I can't figure out how to do it in
word.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Darren Darren is offline

How do I ....................get rid of
that.....................................?

"mooring" wrote:

I am trying to setup a heading or other formatting code so that I can break
my document into parts separated by a heading like this:

----------- Chapter 1 -----------

Where the two lines are a % of page width; move with changes in the text
("Chapter 1"); and are centered vertically with the text in the middle. I
have seen this in documents, but I can't figure out how to do it in word.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the line has extra leading spaces, change the horizontal alignment to
Center, then back to Left or Justified.

http://word.mvps.org

"Darren" wrote in message
How do I ....................get rid of