Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Negative0 Negative0 is offline

Default Saving a document with Symbol Font

I have the following scenario. I create a document and type the following
sentence:
"The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." I then highlight the
sentence and change the font to Symbol (Wingdings and Webdings show the same
behavior). I then save the document as a .docx file. I close Word. I then
reopen the document and the text looks the same as it did when I saved it. I
then highlight the text and change the font back to Calibiri, but instead of
getting my original sentence, I get a whole long block of  symbols.

I can copy and paste this sentence into Wordpad (from the reopened word
document) and then change the font and the original sentence comes out.

Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone know a workaround? I am thinking
it has something to do with encoding, but I don't know what.

The reason I am asking this is because I have another font on my machine (a
barcode font) that behaves the same way and I figure if we can solve the
problem for Symbol or Wingdings, then I can solve it for the barcode font.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See WD2002: Symbol Characters Are Changed to Box Characters at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290978

http://word.mvps.org

"Negative0" wrote in message
[...]

Where's the infinity symbol? What font? The Math Man? Microsoft Word Help 2 June 26th 23 11:26 AM
Font sizes not saving (W2007 opening document originally created inW2003) ZephyrAssociates Microsoft Word Help 1 December 19th 09 03:36 AM
Symbol font Wordy Microsoft Word Help 1 November 6th 09 08:00 PM
Symbol font won't return to a normal font... forestdweller Page Layout 1 December 5th 08 03:12 PM
The font symbol is missing Sivagan New Users 1 August 6th 07 03:59 PM