alpaca alpaca is offline
Junior Member

Default Normal style in tables

I go to a lot of trouble to make sure there are no "normal" styled text in my documents. But because "normal" is so insidious and crops up when I'm not looking, I regularly search my docs for that style.

Much to my dismay, all (or at least most) of my tables have "normal" as the style of the LINE, even though I've used other styles on all the text in the table. So when I go searching for the "normal" style, I get table after table after table after table. Very frustrating.

And of course, I cannot change that style; Word insists on retaining the "normal" style for each line of the table, despite me trying to change it.

So my question for you Word Masters is: how can I change the style of the table lines to be something other than normal? I'm using Word 2010 and Win8, but I think that doesn't matter; this behavior has existed since at least Word 2003, probably before that.

Thanks for whatever help/comments you can provide.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Normal is the default, yes. Note that you can apply other styles to cell
content. As you add rows to the table, those new rows will also have those
same styles applied to them.

Alternatively, you can set *font formatting* as part of the table style
(which often leads to conflicts with the document defaults, though). Of
course, it would be a lot easier if, as part of a *table style*, we could
specify a paragraph style for cell content.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"alpaca" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Of course, I should have mentioned that you can use Find and Replace to
quickly replace the Normal style (for existing tables in your document). In
the process, any direct formatting applied to text will be lost, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"alpaca" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To clarify, not all direct formatting will be lost when you apply a
paragraph style (or reset formatting using Ctrl+SpaceBar and Ctrl+Q). If a
few words (less than 50%) has been formatted as italic, bold, etc., that
formatting won't be lost.