Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura79

Default URGENT help needed, please - TOC disappeared

I'm using Word 2002 with Windows Millennium Edition.

At the final edit of a long project. TOC was coming out with the same page
number for every entry, even after an "Update TOC" command. So I thought I
would delete the whole thing (selected the TOC text, then Ctrl-X) and start
over by re-generating the TOC. Tried an "InsertReferenceTOC" command, it
asked me if I wanted to "replace the selected TOC" - said yes. And now there
is NOTHING AT ALL for a TOC. Apparently, there is a "selected TOC" lurking
somewhere. I can't find it, and can't generate another one. There is a blank
page before the start of the document that I can't get rid of. Project
deadline was three hours ago, and I'm holding up the whole works, printers
and all. Can you help please???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura79

I closed out everything and went back to a "repaired" copy. That allowed me
to generate a new TOC, but haven't been able to see if the page numbers will
"hold" now. Spending time on trying to figure out why the header has now
disappeared, and the footer (page number only) won't respond to "start at 1"
command. Will have to fix the header-and-footer problem (no idea how, when
Word will not listen to what I'm telling it to do), then try again with the
TOC. I have never had so much trouble with a "finished" document. It's a
nightmare and I'm at the end of my rope - and out of time. (sorry for the
rant....)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have a backup?

"Laura79" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2002 with Windows Millennium Edition.

At the final edit of a long project. TOC was coming out with the same page
number for every entry, even after an "Update TOC" command. So I thought I
would delete the whole thing (selected the TOC text, then Ctrl-X) and

start
over by re-generating the TOC. Tried an "InsertReferenceTOC" command, it
asked me if I wanted to "replace the selected TOC" - said yes. And now

there
is NOTHING AT ALL for a TOC. Apparently, there is a "selected TOC" lurking
somewhere. I can't find it, and can't generate another one. There is a

blank
page before the start of the document that I can't get rid of. Project
deadline was three hours ago, and I'm holding up the whole works, printers
and all. Can you help please???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might try using Open and Repair if it's available in your version of
Word. If not, treat the document as corrupt; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

"Laura79" wrote in message
I closed out everything and went back to a "repaired" copy. That allowed

me
to generate a new TOC, but haven't been able to see if the page numbers

will
"hold" now. Spending time on trying to figure out why the header has now
disappeared, and the footer (page number only) won't respond to "start at

1"
command. Will have to fix the header-and-footer problem (no idea how, when
Word will not listen to what I'm telling it to do), then try again with

the
TOC. I have never had so much trouble with a "finished" document. It's a
nightmare and I'm at the end of my rope - and out of time. (sorry for the
rant....)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have a backup?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Laura79" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura79

I'll give that a try. Thank you for your help!

"Laura79" wrote in message
I closed out everything and went back to a "repaired" copy. That allowed

me
to generate a new TOC, but haven't been able to see if the page numbers

will
"hold" now. Spending time on trying to figure out why the header has now
disappeared, and the footer (page number only) won't respond to "start at

1"
command. Will have to fix the header-and-footer problem (no idea how, when
Word will not listen to what I'm telling it to do), then try again with

the
TOC. I have never had so much trouble with a "finished" document. It's a
nightmare and I'm at the end of my rope - and out of time. (sorry for the
rant....)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have a backup?

newsgroup so