Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
E.D. E.D. is offline

Default Attaching a template to existing document & it doesn't show up. W

I have a large number of documents that had a template attached to them that
was on a server that is offline (dead). The old path does not exist now, so
the formatting disappeared.

I am trying to replace the path to the new template, but it does not show up
now. The path is there but the formatting is not.

What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Did you remember to check the "Automatically update document styles" option
in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box? Also, note that even if the option
is checked, only the styles of the attached template will be updated, not
the contents of the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"E.D." wrote in message
I have a large number of documents that had a template attached to them
that
was on a server that is offline (dead). The old path does not exist now,
so
the formatting disappeared.

I am trying to replace the path to the new template, but it does not show
up
now. The path is there but the formatting is not.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Also, note that even if the option is checked, only the styles of the
attached template will be updated, not the contents of the document.

Clarification: only the styles will be updated, not the contents of the
document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"E.D." wrote in message
I have a large number of documents that had a template attached to them
that
was on a server that is offline (dead). The old path does not exist now,
so
the formatting disappeared.

I am trying to replace the path to the new template, but it does not show
up
now. The path is there but the formatting is not.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
E.D.[_2_] E.D.[_2_] is offline

Default Attaching a template to existing document & it doesn't show up

I did select the auto update box. What do you mean by style? The template I
am trying to use has a header & company logo - they don't show up at all. Is
that considered content that won't update or show up in my current documet?

"E.D." wrote in message
I have a large number of documents that had a template attached to them
that
was on a server that is offline (dead). The old path does not exist now,
so
the formatting disappeared.

I am trying to replace the path to the new template, but it does not show
up
now. The path is there but the formatting is not.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, headers and footers are contents, and therefore they are not affected
when you "Automatically update styles."

Instead, what you can do is create a document based on the template, and
then use Insert | File (Insert tab | Object | Text from File for Word 2007)
to bring in the text of your existing document.

For more about styles in Word, see this article:

About formatting text by using styles
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH060830091033

--
Stefan Blom