Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tomp

Default page numbers greyed out

MSWord 97: When I try to INSERT: PAGE NUMBERS, nothing happens. The
numbers are there, but they're greyed out, in VIEW: PAGE LAYOUT. In
FOOTERS, and swich to FOOTERS, the page number comes up but everything
else is greyed out. When I press CTL-F9, nothing happens. I put a
page break in the document, but both sides' page numbers stayed grey.
In FILE: PRINT PREVIEW, they work fine, but the next time I open the
file I'm in VIEW; NORMAL again. I reloaded Word97. I'm afraid to
UNINSTALL Word97, this document has an enormous amount of formatting,
it has to be just so, and I question my ability to redo it all
correctly again. Other files work fine. Everything is in the
Normal.dot template.

Please help.