Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DSJR

Default changing normal.doc

I want to change my normal template in word 2003 -- to add paragraph & space
marks, inches ....
this is what I have done and while the change works in the short term, when
I start up the pc the next day word is back to its original state:
I navigated to:
documents & settings
username
application data
microsoft
template
right clicked to open normal.doc
made the changes and saved .. and they were gone the next day

what did I do wrong? or, what else could I try?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

Paragraph and space marks? Do you mean the toggle setting CTRL+* ()?
Note that changes made to tools options are not stored in normal.dot but
the registry.
As for measurements - do you have the problem at
http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm ?

DSJR wrote:
I want to change my normal template in word 2003 -- to add paragraph
& space marks, inches ....
this is what I have done and while the change works in the short
term, when I start up the pc the next day word is back to its
original state:
I navigated to:
documents & settings
username
application data
microsoft
template
right clicked to open normal.doc
made the changes and saved .. and they were gone the next day

what did I do wrong? or, what else could I try?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DSJR

thank you Graham .. yes to paragraph and space marks .. in fact, I want to
add most of the formatting marks under tools option view .. and to change the
units of measure in the same place under general .. I tried the link you gave
me but it didn't work for me .. maybe because I am using word 2003?

How do I make a default change to the registry?

DSJR wrote:
I want to change my normal template in word 2003 -- to add paragraph
& space marks, inches ....
this is what I have done and while the change works in the short
term, when I start up the pc the next day word is back to its
original state:
I navigated to:
documents & settings
username
application data
microsoft
template
right clicked to open normal.doc
made the changes and saved .. and they were gone the next day

what did I do wrong? or, what else could I try?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ordinarily Word preserves the view in which you close it (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm), but in Word 2000 and
above, because of SDI, the view can be more window-dependent. The KB article
WD2002: Rules for Hide white space between pages at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297564 explains how this works for "white
space," and the same (per window, per document) seems to be pretty much true
for other display features (view, Zoom, ruler, nonprinting characters, etc.)
as well.