Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default "Same as previous" doesn't stay set

Word 2003, XP: We have a document with a fairly simple set of headers and
footers but it has a problem. Here's how the document is set up:

- Headers and footers are NOT different for the first page of each section or
for left and right pages.

- The front matter has section breaks for such parts as the table of contents.
We turned off "same as previous" for these headers and footers.

- After the front matter all the later sections have "same as previous" going
back to section 1 (which is right after the front matter).

The problem is, after some typical work on the document, usually in later
sections, some of the headers or footers in the front section have the "same
as previous" status (which we had turned off), and this deletes whatever we
entered in the header or footer. Can someone suggest what the dependency
could be, or what would change the setting we used?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The Same as Previous setting should only be enabled for Sections n where n
is the Section number of the first section after the front matter.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" u3143@uwe wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Also, note (which may or may not be relevant in this case) that whenever you
insert a new section break, "Same as previous" is ON by default.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

The Same as Previous setting should only be enabled for Sections n where
n is the Section number of the first section after the front matter.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

I know my description had a lot of detail, but I may have left something
unclear. We want "same as previous" OFF in the front matter. We TURN IT OFF,
and it comes back ON by itself. Both the responses sound like my meaning was
reversed. Sorry for unclear wording.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Also, note (which may or may not be relevant in this case) that whenever you
insert a new section break, "Same as previous" is ON by default.

The Same as Previous setting should only be enabled for Sections n where
n is the Section number of the first section after the front matter.

[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]
entered in the header or footer. Can someone suggest what the dependency
could be, or what would change the setting we used?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Each section can have up to three different headers (and three different
footers): a first page, an odd page, and an even page; this is the case if
you select "Different first page" and "Different odd and even" in Page
Setup. Whenever a section contains more than one header (footer), each type
must be unlinked separately.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom wrote:
Also, note (which may or may not be relevant in this case) that whenever
you
insert a new section break, "Same as previous" is ON by default.

The Same as Previous setting should only be enabled for Sections n
where
n is the Section number of the first section after the front matter.

[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]
entered in the header or footer. Can someone suggest what the
dependency
could be, or what would change the setting we used?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

We are not using different first page or different odd and even. Just one
header and footer per section.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Each section can have up to three different headers (and three different
footers): a first page, an odd page, and an even page; this is the case if
you select "Different first page" and "Different odd and even" in Page
Setup. Whenever a section contains more than one header (footer), each type
must be unlinked separately.

I know my description had a lot of detail, but I may have left something
unclear. We want "same as previous" OFF in the front matter. We TURN IT

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
dependency
could be, or what would change the setting we used?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

OK. Under which circumstances does "Same as previous" get activated again?
Can you see a pattern?

The point I was trying to make in an earlier message was that if you add a
new section, "Same as previous" will be switched on by default (even if the
option is turned off in the existing sections).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom wrote:
Each section can have up to three different headers (and three different
footers): a first page, an odd page, and an even page; this is the case if
you select "Different first page" and "Different odd and even" in Page
Setup. Whenever a section contains more than one header (footer), each
type
must be unlinked separately.

I know my description had a lot of detail, but I may have left something
unclear. We want "same as previous" OFF in the front matter. We TURN IT

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
dependency
could be, or what would change the setting we used?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

We can't see much of a pattern except that we were doing ordinary work on the
document. The times that it happened may have involved adding a new section
in the main body that does use "keep with previous". Could this affect the
front matter where this feature is off? (Seems to me it shouldn't, but this
is Word.)

Stefan Blom wrote:
OK. Under which circumstances does "Same as previous" get activated again?
Can you see a pattern?

The point I was trying to make in an earlier message was that if you add a
new section, "Same as previous" will be switched on by default (even if the
option is turned off in the existing sections).

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Intermittent issues are very difficult to troubleshoot, of course... :-(

I agree that it seems unlikely that a section break outside of the front
matter would affect the front matter.

Just in case the document is damaged, you could try the following (on a COPY
of the document): Delete all the section breaks, copy the content (except
for the final paragraph mark) into a new document, and then recreate the
section breaks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP