Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J.OBrien J.OBrien is offline

Default AutoText at Template Level

I am creating several correspondence templates in Word that will be loaded
into our administrative system. When a user chooses anyone of the templates,
the document will be populated with some data from the system. However,
there are still variable "chunks" of language that will have to be inserted
into the document depending on claim specifics. We would like to have these
"chunks" of language available as Auto Text to insert into letters.

I am building all documents from one "Master" template that has been
formatted to department standards. What I would like to able to do is add
the Auto Text to this "Master" document and have it be available to all
documents derived (generated) from that master template. In other words I
would like the Auto Text to be available at the document level, not the user
level.

So far I've only been able to set up Auto Text specific to me as a user. If
I send the document to someone else the only Auto Text available to them is
whatever they've set up themselves - not that which I set up for the
document. Do you have any advice or could you point me to a person that
might be able to help? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I suspect this is another case of making a document (.doc file) and
calling it a "template" because it's used to make other documents.

To J.OBrien: In Word, the term "template" refers specifically to a
file saved *as a Word template* in a file with a .dot extension. When
Suzanne says that AutoText must be stored in templates, she's
referring to that technical definition.

Read the article
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...n/AutoText.htm to see how to
save new AutoText entries in a template other than your Normal.dot.
You can use the Organizer dialog (Tools Templates & Add-ins
Organizer) to copy existing AutoText entries from Normal.dot to
another template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman