Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jason.Bradley Jason.Bradley is offline

Default right justify dollar amounts

So in excel numbers are formated to the right automatically which is nice,
but in word when merged, they become formated left to right. As a result I'm
getting the data in the format of:

$ 320.57
$ 5.00
$ 81,000.00

my boss however would like to see this format instead:

$ 320.00
$ 5.00
$ 81,000.00

is it possible to do this safely and easily? I assume there is some sort of
a "align right" that I can use on the field I'm merging?? Thanks! :-)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Insert a decimal aligned tab stop and preceed the mergefields containing the
numbers with a tab space.

Alternatively, depending upon the layout of your maindocument in may be
possible to insert the mergefields into the cells of table that have the
paragraph alignment set to be right aligned.

Also see "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

for how to "preserve" the formatting that you are seeing in Excel.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jason.Bradley" wrote in message
So in excel numbers are formated to the right automatically which is nice,
but in word when merged, they become formated left to right. As a result
I'm
getting the data in the format of:

$ 320.57
$ 5.00
$ 81,000.00

my boss however would like to see this format instead:

$ 320.00
$ 5.00
$ 81,000.00

is it possible to do this safely and easily? I assume there is some sort
of
a "align right" that I can use on the field I'm merging?? Thanks! :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jason.Bradley Jason.Bradley is offline

I've looked at the formatting word fields with switches page, but didn't see
anything that describes how to do what I suggested.

I don't know how to do a decimal aligned tab stop, but I'd like to try that,
what do I have to do to make one of those?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The suggestion to see the formatting page was just for the purpose of what
you might need to do the get the thousands separator and the correct number
of decimal places.

For the decimal tab stop, select Tabs from the Format menu so that the
Format Tabs dialog appears. You can then use that to specify the type of
tab stop and the position at which it is located. You can also set the type
of tab to be inserted by clicking on the tab box at the left hand end of the
ruler until it changes to an upside down T with dot on the right hand side.
You then click on the ruler at the location that you want the decimal points
aligned.

Dollar sign lols9 Microsoft Word Help 2 July 22nd 06 05:55 PM
Formatting problem in dollar fields Tom Mailmerge 2 May 20th 06 01:00 AM
mail merge dollar amounts Joan Microsoft Word Help 1 May 18th 06 07:05 PM
How do I turn dollar amounts into words? Theresa Wright New Users 5 January 25th 05 11:28 AM
How do I justify an MS Word document on both sides? 44bear Microsoft Word Help 1 December 7th 04 12:39 AM