Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
cynwalker cynwalker is offline

Default captions not showing up in cross-reference

I'm captioning all of my Tables and Figures and then referencing the
table/figure in the text using the cross-reference dialog box. Now all of a
sudden in the last couple of documents I've been working with the caption no
longer shows up in the cross-reference and some captions show twice. Has
anyone had this problem and (hopefully) solved it?

Thanks,
Ciindy
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: captions not showing up in cross-reference

Hi Cindy,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your captions and cross-references in Microsoft Word. Here are some steps you can try to fix the issue:
  1. Check your caption formatting: Make sure that your captions are formatted consistently and correctly. You can do this by selecting a caption and going to the "References" tab in the ribbon. Click on "Insert Caption" and make sure that the label and numbering are correct. Also, check that the "Exclude label from caption" box is unchecked.
  2. Update your cross-references: If your captions are formatted correctly, try updating your cross-references. To do this, select the cross-reference in your text and press "Ctrl + Shift + F9". This will convert the cross-reference to plain text and then update it with the correct caption information.
  3. Check your field codes: Sometimes, field codes can cause issues with cross-references. To check your field codes, press "Alt + F9". This will show you the field codes in your document. Look for any cross-reference codes and make sure they are correct.
  4. Remove duplicate captions: If you have duplicate captions, this can cause issues with cross-references. To remove duplicate captions, select the caption and press "Delete". Then, reinsert the caption using the "Insert Caption" button.

I hope these steps help you solve your issue with captions and cross-references in Microsoft Word.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

This is a common complication if you are tracking changes. You will have to
accept all changes and turn off the Track Changes feature for
cross-references to "behave."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"cynwalker" wrote in message
news
I'm captioning all of my Tables and Figures and then referencing the
table/figure in the text using the cross-reference dialog box. Now all of
sudden in the last couple of documents I've been working with the caption
no
longer shows up in the cross-reference and some captions show twice. Has
anyone had this problem and (hopefully) solved it?

Thanks,
Ciindy

pjg101 pjg101 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
Only problem with accepting all changes is, it kind of defeats the purpose of tracking changes in the first place plus it may be a specific requirement for reviewing purposes. This problem is caused when you "update field" with track changes on. To be a little less "brute force and ignorant", just accept all the changes in the field updates referring tables (or whatever 'field' may have updated). This is a pain but it keeps your changes tracked for the next person reviewing your doc.

As usual, this is just another MS bug/shortcoming.