Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yecenia Yecenia is offline

Default Table of Contents and Index

Hello,
I am creating instruction manual and it would be great to have an idex and
a table of contents. I performed this in Word 2003 about one year ago and it
was fairly simple, but I'm totally lost in 2007. Help!

Thanks,
Yecenia
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In Word 2007, you'll find the commands necessary on the References tab. For
example, in the Table of Contents group, click Table of Contents | Insert
Table of Contents, to see the old dialog box for TOC insertion. In the Index
group, click the Mark Entry button to mark text for inclusion in an index.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Yecenia" wrote in message
Hello,
I am creating instruction manual and it would be great to have an idex
and
a table of contents. I performed this in Word 2003 about one year ago and
it
was fairly simple, but I'm totally lost in 2007. Help!

Thanks,
Yecenia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yecenia Yecenia is offline

Stefan thank you for the reply. These were the steps I took before and I
still have the same result. When I clidk on Table of Contents and insert
table I get "No Enteries found in Table of Contents". I know there is
something more to this set up.

I followed your instructions regarding clicking "Mark Entry" and
unfortunately I have an upside down musical sign at the end of every line in
my document, a dot between each word, and an arrow in the begining of each
outline. How do you remove those icons? I can not work will all this stuff
in my page.

Help!

-Yecenia

"Yecenia" wrote in message
Hello,
I am creating instruction manual and it would be great to have an idex
and
a table of contents. I performed this in Word 2003 about one year ago and
it
was fairly simple, but I'm totally lost in 2007. Help!

Thanks,
Yecenia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Yecenia" wrote in message

Stefan thank you for the reply. These were the steps I took before and I
still have the same result. When I clidk on Table of Contents and insert
table I get "No Enteries found in Table of Contents". I know there is
something more to this set up.

You are confusing two features here. The Mark Entry command in the Index
group creates index entries; it shouldn't be used with tables of contents.

If you are trying to mark entries for TOC inclusion, select the text and
then press Alt+Shift+O. Note, however, that it will be easier to use the
built-in headings, as these will be included in the TOC by default.

I followed your instructions regarding clicking "Mark Entry" and
unfortunately I have an upside down musical sign at the end of every line
in
my document, a dot between each word, and an arrow in the begining of each
outline. How do you remove those icons? I can not work will all this
stuff
in my page.

Help!

Click Ctrl+Shift+8 to show/hide nonprinting marks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

-Yecenia

"Yecenia" wrote in message
Hello,
I am creating instruction manual and it would be great to have an idex
and
a table of contents. I performed this in Word 2003 about one year ago
and
it
was fairly simple, but I'm totally lost in 2007. Help!

Thanks,
Yecenia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yecenia Yecenia is offline

I figured out how to remove those icons. Its in the Home ribbon and in the
paragraph section.

I still need to figure out how to set up the table of contents.

"Yecenia" wrote in message
Hello,
I am creating instruction manual and it would be great to have an idex
and
a table of contents. I performed this in Word 2003 about one year ago and
it
was fairly simple, but I'm totally lost in 2007. Help!

Thanks,
Yecenia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html for the general
principles. Although the dialog is accessed differently in Word 2007,
everything else is the same.

http://word.mvps.org