Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Morris Dan Morris is offline

Default Mail Merge

I am using Word 2003. I have been using a letter that merges from a second
word document for 2 years. I could open the form letter and it automatically
linked to the source doucument that I previously updated. I could then click
on merge to new doucument and have my new updated letter automatically.

After a recent upgrade, I am forced to go through each of the mail merge
steps to do the same thing. My letter has all the fields, but it is not
attached to the source document. I have tried creating a new merge document
and attaching the source document, but I get the same result.

I am forced to create a new document, link it to the old source file, etc.

I never had to do this with the prior version.

What is the solution?

--
Dan Morris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There should be no need to redo the merge document. Simply re-attach the
data file. You can easily do this from the merge toolbar - see

Dan Morris wrote:
I am using Word 2003. I have been using a letter that merges from a
second word document for 2 years. I could open the form letter and
it automatically linked to the source doucument that I previously
updated. I could then click on merge to new doucument and have my
new updated letter automatically.

After a recent upgrade, I am forced to go through each of the mail
merge steps to do the same thing. My letter has all the fields, but
it is not attached to the source document. I have tried creating a
new merge document and attaching the source document, but I get the
same result.

I am forced to create a new document, link it to the old source file,
etc.

I never had to do this with the prior version.

What is the solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you move the data file to the same folder as the merge document or to the
My Data Sources folder it should attach automatically in future.

Dan Morris wrote:
I am using Word 2003. I have been using a letter that merges from a
second word document for 2 years. I could open the form letter and
it automatically linked to the source document that I previously
updated. I could then click on merge to new document and have my