Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dana H Dana H is offline

Default Word keeps changing the style I assigned to it's own

Hi, I have researched, tested, read and cannot find the answer to this...
I have a template I created that merges from a database into a word
document. Word keeps changing one 2 of my styles to its own variations of
them (adds 2 styles using SOME of the things I wanted)! The rest of the field
styles in the document do not change, they stay exactly how I made them. In
order for me to fix it, I have to reassign the style manually (and I delete
Word's creations). I compared another style I use (that works fine) very
similar to one of those that change, and cannot find any major differences
why one works and the other doesnt.

This NEVER happened in the older version of word (I am in 2003 sp2) and I
know it's a Word issue. I feel maybe when I got upgraded recently, something
is set default that I don't need or not set that I do need. Different people
on different machines are having the same issue I am with the same document.
I use the .rtf. I have even tried saving as a .doc and then back to .rtf as
someone suggested but still not keeping my style.

One thing I did notice different from the style I assigned that (besides the
fonts it won't keep) Paragraph (on the Modify Style menu, Style Type box) is
shaded out, and the one Word creates and changes on me, is showing Paragraph.

I tried unchecking/checking the Autoformat style boxes, etc. and Word still
changing it. Please help, I am stuck!

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?RGFuYSBI?=,

This is a detailed problem description, yet certain information that could be
helpful is missing... Can you give us a couple of examples including style name
of your style, of the style Word is creating and what kinds of changes it's
making to the style definition?

FWIW, this isn't ringing any bells, so I have to wonder whether some kind of
macro code or add-in is interfering, here. Are you certain there are no macros
in this template? If you're sure there aren't, try starting Word in Safe Mode
(hold down CTRL), create a new document from the template and execute the merge.
Any difference?

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you sure these are actual styles? Perhaps they are just "formatting"?
What happens if you clear the check box for "Keep track of formatting" on
the Edit tab of Tools | Options?