Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jack Sadie Jack Sadie is offline

Default Showing headers and footers by default.

(Sorry - this is a re-posting as I had sent it by mistake to wrong ng.
Forgive any bad etiquette. I have already replied there asking folk to
ignore it.)

For some reason which I do not understand, the headers and footers do not
any longer show on screen when I open either a blank document or my
standard
letters which have my address in the first page header.
They most certainly used to do that and I like to have the border
always on view in full page and available when I scroll to the top in page
width.

I know that I can invoke them by clicking on View/Headers and Footers, but
want them there by default. Can some kind person tell me what I have done
lose this (so that I can avoid doing it again) but more importantly what I
must do to regain it.

I have tried opening Normal.dot, invoking the view header and footer and
saving it in
that condition but when I open up it has reverted.
Help please.
TIA.
--
Regards, Jack Sadie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jack Sadie wrote:
(Sorry - this is a re-posting as I had sent it by mistake to wrong ng.
Forgive any bad etiquette. I have already replied there asking folk to
ignore it.)

For some reason which I do not understand, the headers and footers do
not any longer show on screen when I open either a blank document or
my standard
letters which have my address in the first page header.
They most certainly used to do that and I like to have the border
always on view in full page and available when I scroll to the top in
page width.

I know that I can invoke them by clicking on View/Headers and
Footers, but I
want them there by default. Can some kind person tell me what I have
done to
lose this (so that I can avoid doing it again) but more importantly
what I must do to regain it.

I have tried opening Normal.dot, invoking the view header and footer
and saving it in
that condition but when I open up it has reverted.
Help please.
TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Joseph is offline

Per Microsoft help:

Headers and footers appear only in print layout view, print preview, and
in printed documents.

When you save your document as a Web page, the headers and footers no
longer appear or print. However, they are retained in the Web document
so that they appear when you go back to the .doc format of the document.
If you create a Web page that uses frames, you can also create a header
or footer by adding a header frame or a footer frame.

Hope this helps too
Joseph