Inserting merged information into a footer

Old July 17th 05, 03:44 PM
Holly

Default Inserting merged information into a footer

I have a number of Word documents where the client ID is merged at the top of
the 1st page (not in a header) and also in the footer of all the subsequent
pages. This has been working wonderfully for years, but recently, several
newer documents will only merge the information into the top of the 1st page
but NOT the footer. Is there a setting I’ve accidentally changed? Any other
ideas of what’s different? Thanks.
Old July 17th 05, 04:23 PM

Some fields in the header or footer do not update automatically as they once
did, so you may need to update them manually. How are you inserting the
information in the footer? Using a MergeField, a REF field, or what? FWIW,
you may find that the most satisfactory way to accomplish this is as
follows:

1. Create a character style based on Default Paragraph Font that differs
from the DPF only in name.

2. Apply that character style to the client ID merge field.

3. In the footer, put a StyleRef field to pick up that character style.

StyleRef fields update automatically (instantly), so they are more
satisfactory than REF fields.

Old July 17th 05, 04:47 PM
Holly

Thanks, Suzanne for responding so quickly. These aren’t updated fields. As
I’m creating new documents for a new client I have the document template
(sometimes it’s an actual Word template, sometimes it’s just a Word document
not labeled a template that I reuse) yet up with merge fields (as described
in the original question). Previously when I merged to a new document, all
the merge fields were populated with the client ID information, now, in these
newer forms I’ve created, it won’t put the client ID information into the
footer, however, when tested my older documents still merge this information
into the footer.

Old July 17th 05, 05:46 PM
Holly

I FIGURED IT OUT! I suspect I cut and pasted footer for the new document
from an old document. When I deleted this cut and pasted merge fields,
instead inserting them, IT WORKS! Thanks for your time.