Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert Robert is offline

Default Merged data in footer reverts to field name

I have a word document that was created using a macro. This document has
data fields in both the body and the footer. When I try to print this
document to a remote printer from the remote location the data in the footer
(only) reverts to the merge field name. This also happens when you convert
the document to PDF. This document can be printed as expected at the office.
I am using MS Office 2003 Professional. I am accessing the document from
home by logging in through Remote Web Workplace. The server is MS Small
Business Server 2003 standard SP1. This issue is preventing me from working
at home.
--
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert Robert is offline

Neither of "Update fields" nor "Update links" were checked. I tried checking
each one individually and both at the same time and now I loose the merge
data in both the body and footer when I print preview even though I have
unchecked both of these.

What is most puzzeling to me is that the document is created on one PC and
saved to a shared drive. When you open the document saved to the shared
drive all the data is present in both the body and the footer. But if you
print or print preview the data reverts to field names but just in the
footer. I have solved the issue for now by saving the original document to a
PDF file on the shared drive.

I'm not sure why any of the following information has anything to do with
the issue since when you view the saved document the data is present. The
original document is created in MS Office XP running on Windows 98 running on
MS Virtual Machine. The shared folder is on an SBS 2003 machine.
--
Bob

"Robert" wrote in message
I have a word document that was created using a macro. This document has
data fields in both the body and the footer. When I try to print this
document to a remote printer from the remote location the data in the
footer
(only) reverts to the merge field name. This also happens when you
convert
the document to PDF. This document can be printed as expected at the
office.
I am using MS Office 2003 Professional. I am accessing the document from
home by logging in through Remote Web Workplace. The server is MS Small
Business Server 2003 standard SP1. This issue is preventing me from
working
at home.
--
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, I think what is probably happening in this case is that
a. you are /printing/ a document that is a mail merge main document,
instead of /merging/ it, either to a printer or an output document. That
alone may be enough to explain what is happening
b. when created, the document is connected to its data source and correctly
displays data, sometimes
c. when you move it to your shared drive, it loses its connection with the
data source and you will lose any existing /merge/ preview vvalues when you
print or preview.

Peter Jamieson

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert Robert is offline

Peter:

Thanks for your efforts on this issue. So what you seem to be saying is
that even though when you open the document on the shared drive that is
separated from its data source and the actual data is visible (both body and
footer) you cannot print/print preview it and see the data. However it does
print/print preview the data in the body of the document just not from the
footer. Or another words if it prints from the body why not from the footer.
--
Bob

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Or another words if it prints from the body why not from the footer.

I guess that's just the way it it. It's not really possible to answer "why"
questions about software without having, identifying and understanding all
the relevant source code. Even if I had any of the code, which I don't,
identifying the relevant code would probably be pretty time-consuming in
itself.

Peter Jamieson