Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Gary Burton

Default How to repair a broken link to template.

I have many documents created from a public folder template that
contains styles and keyboard macros. Therefore whenever I open one of the
documents, it pulls in the macros from the template. If someone on the
network changes the name of a folder in the path to the template, however,
the link is broken and I can't use the macros. I need the documents and the
template to remain public, so I can't control the fact that the path to the
template may get changed. I could put the macros in each document, but that
gets to be a big editing hassle -- especially if I have to change the macros
later.

Is there a way to repair that link when it becomes broken? I can't seem
to find one.

--
Gary Burton

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jezebel

Tools Templates and Add-ins : Attached template.

If your concern is specifically macros (rather than styles) consider
installing the template as an add-in.Then its macros are always available.

"Gary Burton" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Gary Burton

Thank you! This just might be the soloution I need.

* I need the styles as well. Does that change your recommendation?

* If I attach the template, is that the same thing as "embedding" the
macros and the styles so that they will be available to anyone who opens the
documents?

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Reattaching the template will make the styles and macros available (also
AutoText and some other features). It will not change the page layout of the
document or add any boilerplate text that might be in the template.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jezebel

* I need the styles as well. Does that change your recommendation?

Yes. Add-ins do not supply styles. Only macros.

* If I attach the template, is that the same thing as "embedding" the
macros and the styles so that they will be available to anyone who opens
the documents?

Not sure what you mean by 'embedding'. Every document is associated with a
template, usually specified when the document is created (and using
normal.dot by default). Attaching a template specifies the template: its
macros, styles, autotext, etc will be available to anyone opening the
document provided they also have access to the template. (ie, it doesn't
remain attached if you then email the document but not the template.)

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Gary Burton

Jezebel and Susanne:

I think I'm getting it now.

Attaching the template repairs the link -- which is what I was asking
for, but for some reason it seemed like you (Jezebel) were suggesting
something different when you mentioned "Add-ins". "Add-in" sounded like
something similar to "embedding" rather than "linking". Here I am referring
to "embedding" as what you would do if you were to insert an object directly
into the document as opposed to linking to a separate file.

I now believe that both of you were just telling me how to repair the
link. Please confirm.

If so, that only leaves one question. Jezebel said that the add-in
would not supply styles. If that's the case, why do I have the styles
before the link gets broken? Where do they come from? My Normal.dot?

Gary

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jezebel

Sorry if I confused you. An add-in is any template in Word's start-up folder
(check Tools Options File Locations for where this is): it is loaded
automatically when Word starts, making its macros and AutoText entries
available to every document that you open.

Styles are strictly a matter between the document and the template attached
at the time (either the template on which the document was based, or the
template subsequently attached, as described previously). The document
maintains its own copy of each style actually used: initially this is the
style as defined in the attached template, but you can change it. If you
check the 'Add to template' checkbox on the style definition dialog, style
changes are written back to the template. Conversely, if you check the
'Automatically update document styles' checkbox on the Attach Template
dialog, the document's styles are reset to the definitions in the template.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Gary Burton

Thank you very much!

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

CPU Usage When working with a Template I Created KM1 Microsoft Word Help 6 May 24th 05 04:38 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Moving templates to other computer GeorgeMar Microsoft Word Help 10 February 19th 05 05:59 AM
Network template link problem Erik Microsoft Word Help 1 November 26th 04 04:40 PM
Template link prevents word doc from opening Scrich Microsoft Word Help 2 November 24th 04 04:40 PM