Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TDMedia

Default Eliminate line numbers on blank lines?

How can I set Word to refrain from assigning line numbers to blank
lines? It's a bit of a pain having to go through each document to
remove the numbers on paragraph breaks, etc.

Thanks!

Tom M

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word does not number blank lines if they are created correctly. It does
number empty paragraphs. The solution is to eliminate empty paragraphs and
create "blank lines" by adding Space Before or After to your text through
the Format | Paragraph dialog.

"TDMedia" wrote in message
oups.com...
How can I set Word to refrain from assigning line numbers to blank
lines? It's a bit of a pain having to go through each document to
remove the numbers on paragraph breaks, etc.

Thanks!

Tom M

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TDMedia

Sorry, Suzanne. I'm not quite getting your explanation. Can you give
me a blow-by-blow, as if you're talking to an idiot? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg

Tom

See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Count_Lines_of_Text.htm
for an illustration on why your "blank" lines are being numbered.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to what Greg says (and his graphics are worth 1,000 words of
mine, no matter how simple), if you insist on using empty paragraphs to
create "blank lines," then you'll have to suppress line numbering in those
paragraphs (on the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph), but the
only efficient way to do that would be with a style, and if you're going to
learn to use styles, you might as well save time by learning to use a style
with Space Before or After.

"Greg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tom

See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Count_Lines_of_Text.htm
for an illustration on why your "blank" lines are being numbered.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TDMedia

All right. I guess I AM an idiot. It's amazing how I can do some of
the things I do when I can't understand a word either of you are
saying.

Suzanne: I ultimately managed to fix the last problem you tried to
help me with (forms), but it took a whole bunch of trial and error on
my own. I guess I'm not good at written directions.

Thanks, anyway!

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Eliminate line numbers on blank lines?

Hi Tom!

I understand how frustrating it can be to have to manually remove line numbers from blank lines in a Word document. Fortunately, there is a way to set Word to automatically refrain from assigning line numbers to blank lines.

Here's how to do it:
  1. Open your Word document.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Line Numbers" drop-down menu in the "Page Setup" section of the ribbon.
  4. Select "Line Numbering Options" from the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Line Numbers" dialog box that appears, click on the "Line Numbers" tab.
  6. Under "Count," select "Continuous" from the drop-down menu.
  7. Under "Add line numbering," make sure the box next to "Add line numbering" is unchecked.
  8. Click "OK" to save your changes.

That's it! Now Word will automatically refrain from assigning line numbers to blank lines in your document. You won't have to manually remove them anymore.