Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fiance Fiance is offline

Default Table of Contents - Level 1, Body Text etc

Hello,

I have two problems with Word's tables of contents that I cannot
understand, let alone
solve

Problem 1.

In this example file:

http://www.4shared.com/file/3206208/...1/example.html

You can see a table with two columns. The goal is two make two tables
of contents - one in
Column 1 to show the contents of this column and another in Column 2 to
show the contents
of the second column.

Is it possible to have two TOCs with different content in one Word
document?

Problem 2.

To at least start filling a TOC, I need to select some text as Body
text, some as Level 1
etc. In the same example file

http://www.4shared.com/file/3206208/...1/example.html

some text is already made Level 1 - I received it in such condition. If
I try to make it
body text, everything in the file is screwed: some text is made bold
for some reason, some
- vice versa etc.

What is the cause of this? Is there a way to just remove "Level 1" from
text and make it
Body text without screwing the formatting?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

"Fiance" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have two problems with Word's tables of contents that I cannot
understand, let alone
solve

Problem 1.

In this example file:

http://www.4shared.com/file/3206208/...1/example.html

You can see a table with two columns. The goal is two make two tables
of contents - one in
Column 1 to show the contents of this column and another in Column 2 to
show the contents
of the second column.

Is it possible to have two TOCs with different content in one Word
document?

Yes. Bookmark the ranges for which you want the TOCs, then create your TOCs
using the \b switch.

Problem 2.

To at least start filling a TOC, I need to select some text as Body
text, some as Level 1
etc. In the same example file

http://www.4shared.com/file/3206208/...1/example.html

some text is already made Level 1 - I received it in such condition. If
I try to make it
body text, everything in the file is screwed: some text is made bold
for some reason, some
- vice versa etc.

What is the cause of this? Is there a way to just remove "Level 1" from
text and make it
Body text without screwing the formatting?

The Outline level is a property of the style's paragraph format, independent
of other formatting. Select Modify for any style, display the Paragraph
dialog: note the Outline Level dropdown at top right. You can change this
value for any style other than the built-in headings. Alternatively, you can
use the \t switch in the TOC field to specify explicitly the styles to
include and the TOC levels to which they correspond, in which case the
Outline level is irrelevant.

However, from your description, it sounds like your document has a lot of
manual formatting applied (ie paragraphs with formatting other than as
defined in the underlying style). If the document will be around for a
while, it is worth investing the effort to fix this; otherwise document
maintenance will be a tedious nightmare for ever.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

1. Insert a table of contents. Then select the whole TOC, copy and
paste it below the first one. Select the left column of the table and
insert a bookmark. Select the right column and insert another
bookmark. Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. The tables of contents
will look similar to: { TOC }. In one TOC field, add \b
Name_of_First_Bookmark; in the other field, add \b
Name_of_Second_Bookmark. Update the tables of contents, for example,
by selecting them and pressing F9.

2. On the Format menu, click Paragraph. Click the Indents and Spacing
tab. At "Outline level," choose "Body Text," and then click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Fiance"wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fiance Fiance is offline

Thank you for the instructions on a TOC for each column! I'm running
into another problem, however. The right edge of each TOC is not
visible - it "runs" under the cell border. I see no options for this in
"Insert/Reference/TOC/Modify" and there are no holders on the ruler to
drag the right edge of the TOC to visibility.

Turning Level 1 text into Body text seems to be a harder task. In the
example file

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...1/example.html

the title in the right column is Level 1 and the Outline Level
drop-down menu in the Indenst and Spacing Tab is "greyed out", i.e.
inactive, therefore I cannot follow your kind instructions.

Is there a way to make it active?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Display the Modify Style dialog box for the TOC 1 style (for
instructions, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...fyAStyle.html). In the
dialog box, click Format, click Tabs, specify a location for a
right-aligned tab stop, click Set. Confirm with OK. Repeat for the
other TOC styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Define the TOC style to position the right-tab within the width of

your
column.

oups.com...