Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
legge legge is offline

Default What is my best resource for learning how to create masterdoc/sub

I am about to type a very large document with many different categories
(Manual of Operations). I would like each section to start at page 1 and
there will probably be 20 sections with maybe 10 sub-sections in each. I
need more information regarding creating a master document and subdocuments;
do you think this would be my best choice for creating and if so, where could
I obtain the best resources for learning how to create this document. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The best advice is don't.

See the article "Why Master Documents corrupt" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

and if you do, you will probably need to

See the article "How to recover a Master Document" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"legge" wrote in message
I am about to type a very large document with many different categories
(Manual of Operations). I would like each section to start at page 1 and
there will probably be 20 sections with maybe 10 sub-sections in each. I
need more information regarding creating a master document and
subdocuments;
do you think this would be my best choice for creating and if so, where
could
I obtain the best resources for learning how to create this document.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
legge legge is offline

Default What is my best resource for learning how to create masterdoc/

Okay, I'm sure your advice is best!
Now what? What is the best way to create a manual? I need many sections, I
need to create a TOC, I will need to add pages to certain sections over the
course of time, I want each section to start at page 1 so that, in the
future, I can add extra pages without throughing out every page number in the
manual. Please, any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

"legge" wrote in message
I am about to type a very large document with many different categories
(Manual of Operations). I would like each section to start at page 1 and
there will probably be 20 sections with maybe 10 sub-sections in each. I
need more information regarding creating a master document and
subdocuments;
do you think this would be my best choice for creating and if so, where
could
I obtain the best resources for learning how to create this document.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There's no reason you can't do that in a single document. I would advise
against paginating by section (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm), but it can certainly
be done.

"legge" wrote in message
I am about to type a very large document with many different categories
(Manual of Operations). I would like each section to start at page 1

and
there will probably be 20 sections with maybe 10 sub-sections in each.

need more information regarding creating a master document and
subdocuments;
do you think this would be my best choice for creating and if so,

where
could
I obtain the best resources for learning how to create this document.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See also:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm
(which gives instructions for a technical manual, if I remember correctly)

And this page is a collection of links useful to doing long documents,
books, dissertations, etc--things like your manual--in Word:
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm