Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Michael Michael is offline

Default Printing Table of Contents

When tracking changes, I can acept all changes in a document and save it.
When I open the document again (track changes still on) and hit print, the
Table of Contents completely changes with really weird numbers. If I update
the field and save it again, when I reopen it and try to print it happens all
over again.

The same thing is happeneing in all of my documents. If I turn off changes
it is normal (which is my work around) but I need to track changes on these
docs.

Any suggestions are welcomed!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

One way to get around this is to lock the TOC field: Place the
insertion point inside it and then press Ctrl+F11. (Later, when you
want to unlock the field, use Ctrl+Shift+F11.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Michael" wrote in message
When tracking changes, I can acept all changes in a document and

save it.
When I open the document again (track changes still on) and hit

print, the
Table of Contents completely changes with really weird numbers. If

I update
the field and save it again, when I reopen it and try to print it

happens all
over again.

The same thing is happeneing in all of my documents. If I turn off

changes
it is normal (which is my work around) but I need to track changes

on these
docs.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Michael,

Try running the following macro to accept the tracked changes affecting your fields:
Sub AcceptTrackedFields()
Dim oRange As Word.Range
Dim Fld As Field
With ActiveDocument
' Loop through all range objects and accept tracked changes on fields
For Each oRange In .StoryRanges
Do
For Each Fld In oRange.Fields
Fld.Select
Selection.Range.Revisions.AcceptAll
Next
Set oRange = oRange.NextStoryRange
Loop Until oRange Is Nothing
Next
End With
End Sub

That should clean up whatever mess there already is. Add it to your Normal.dot template and it'll be available anytime you need it.

To prevent the fields getting messed up again at print time, uncheck 'update fields' under Tools|Options|Print.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Michael" wrote in message ...
When tracking changes, I can acept all changes in a document and save it.
When I open the document again (track changes still on) and hit print, the
Table of Contents completely changes with really weird numbers. If I update
the field and save it again, when I reopen it and try to print it happens all
over again.

The same thing is happeneing in all of my documents. If I turn off changes
it is normal (which is my work around) but I need to track changes on these
docs.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Michael Michael is offline

Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. As soon as I hit print
preview, I get changes made to my TOC. I am using Word 2002, SP2 and the
document has multiple sections in it. It is a 81 page document. Any
thoughts?

"Michael" wrote in message
When tracking changes, I can acept all changes in a document and

save it.
When I open the document again (track changes still on) and hit

print, the
Table of Contents completely changes with really weird numbers. If

I update
the field and save it again, when I reopen it and try to print it

happens all
over again.

The same thing is happeneing in all of my documents. If I turn off

changes
it is normal (which is my work around) but I need to track changes

on these
docs.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Michael Michael is offline

Unfortunately, the macro issue won't work because my company's system will
shut it off before opening. And I did turn off the print option and that did
not work either. I am using Word 2002 SP2 and the document has 81 pages with
multiple sections. Is that maybe a factor?

"Michael" wrote in message ...
When tracking changes, I can acept all changes in a document and save it.
When I open the document again (track changes still on) and hit print, the
Table of Contents completely changes with really weird numbers. If I update
the field and save it again, when I reopen it and try to print it happens all
over again.

The same thing is happeneing in all of my documents. If I turn off changes
it is normal (which is my work around) but I need to track changes on these
docs.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you first accept (or reject) changes in the TOC, and then lock it,
does that work? Obviously, you would have to leave the TOC field locked
until you've finished editing; then you should unlock and update it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP