AelwynB

Default Opening a word file opens a blank document instead

When I try to open a document by clicking on its icon either in My
Documents-or anywhere else on my computer, Word 97 opens a blank document,
instead of the one I selected. Any idea on why that happens? And I'm not
talking about trying to open it directly from Word, but instead by opening
the file from where it exists on the computer (like going into my documents
and opening it from there). I want to be able to just double click the file,
and have it open directly. Any help would be appreciated.
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:22:03 -0700, "AelwynB"
wrote:

When I try to open a document by clicking on its icon either in My
Documents-or anywhere else on my computer, Word 97 opens a blank document,
instead of the one I selected. Any idea on why that happens? And I'm not
talking about trying to open it directly from Word, but instead by opening
the file from where it exists on the computer (like going into my documents
and opening it from there). I want to be able to just double click the file,
and have it open directly. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure this is the cause of the problem, but I've seen it happen
a couple of times...

- In Windows Explorer, click Tools Folder Options File Types.
- Select the DOC extension in the list and click the Advanced button.
- Select the Open action and click the Edit button.
- Look at the entry for DDE Message. It should say
[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")]
The Topic entry should say System. If those entries are incorrect,
fix them and click OK.

If that doesn't help, try going to Start Run and entering

winword.exe /r

to make Word rewrite its registry entries.

Good luck!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Wordperfect Office 2000 conversion to Word 2003 MikeE New Users 1 March 21st 05 12:04 AM
Word 2000 opens and prepopulates with previous document, not blank Schleppe Microsoft Word Help 2 February 11th 05 09:51 PM
Is there a Fast Search in Word? [email protected] New Users 14 February 11th 05 08:43 PM