Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] ned.zimmerman@gmail.com is offline

Default Problem w/tables breaking across page break in word 2007

Hello,
hoping someone can help explain Word's behavior to me, if not provide
a solution.

I am having issues with tables breaking across the bottom of a page in
Word 2007.
I have looked at the thread initiated by Bryan Metz in December 2008
under the subject "Table splitting across page break (Word 2007)" and
followed the directions in the document on word.mvps.org (http://
word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/ControlPgBrksInTables.htm).

However, this hasn't solved the problem. The table continues to break
across the bottom of the page even with "Keep with next" applied to
all rows, or all but the last row. (Formatting was applied to the
table as a whole, as well as to each row individually just to double-
check.). Enabling or disabling "allow row to break across pages" also
had no affect.

I have noticed that if I select each individual row and check the
paragraph formatting that "Keep with next" is checked, but that if I
select the row indicator to the right of the table (note: this doesn't
select the whole row, just the indicator is selected) and check the
paragraph formatting, then "Keep with next" is NOT checked. Enabling
this, clicking OK, and then re-checking the paragraph formatting
reveals that the "Keep with next" formatting is not retained after I
click OK.

While I know how to select the first row and apply the "Page break
before" paragraph formatting option to fix the issue, it is not ideal
as I can have up to 70 tables in a document, with more than half of
them potentially needing this fixed.

The only potential reason I can see for this behavior is that the
number of columns is not consistent throughout the table (the 1st, 3rd
and 5th rows are all 1 column, while the 2nd row is 6 columns -- not
all of equal width -- and the 4th row is 2 columns -- again, not of
equal width) and that this is confusing to Word.

Does anyone know for sure, or is there something else I am missing?

Thank you,

Ned Zimmerman

TABLES BREAKING ACROSS PAGE William Tables 5 April 10th 08 04:50 PM
page break problem in word sandypsiu Microsoft Word Help 3 January 7th 08 12:31 AM
Word 2007 - Picture Drawing Problem after Page Break and Space Bef Nyarlathotep Page Layout 0 August 31st 07 04:18 PM
Page Break in Tables Joe L. Tables 5 June 19th 06 07:03 PM
Word Tables breaking even though enough space is available on the 3 MV Microsoft Word Help 2 April 7th 05 03:33 PM